My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

4th degree tear recovery

8 replies

Clm22 · 25/11/2021 19:14

I am 14 days post partum and struggling with my recovery. I’ve finished my antibiotics given by the hospital on discharge but since then I’ve noticed signs of infection with soreness and a foul smell.
I’ve been to the doctors today and have been given some more antibiotics but just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on the best way to recover or any tips? 🙂

I thought I was doing well keeping the area clean but aparently not very well as I now have an infection. I had been dabbing when going to the toilet, using a sitz bath with plain warm water over the toilet or a jug every time I go and showering daily and changing my pads.

So disheartened to suffer this tear and 2 weeks on feel like I’ve got nowhere. On top if it baby is keeping us up all hours of the night and getting no sleep 😞 never thought it would be this way!

Thanks for reading 🙏🏼

OP posts:
colouringindoors · 25/11/2021 19:20

Sending massive hugs and sympathy OP. I had a 4th degree tear with my dd.

What antibiotics were you on, and have you been given?

Your care and hygiene all sound good. I certainly didn't do anything else. I put a LOT of salt in my baths.

Clm22 · 25/11/2021 19:30

Thanks so much @colouringindoors for the response and support.

I was given a cocktail of antibiotics on discharge amoxiclav and metronidazole. I called the doctors today and was seen my the nurse and doctor this afternoon, the nurse instantly told me I should have called the midwife and be seen by them. I’m a FTM so didn’t know this and had a breakdown.
They took a swab and prescribed me a 7 day course of flucloxicilin.

I thought I was doing well with the sitz bath but maybe this is transferring bacteria? There’s so much mixed messages on how to care for it. Would I be ok to bath with Epsom salts?

Thanks 🙂

OP posts:
Rupertpenrysmistress · 25/11/2021 19:33

Ah that all sounds so horrible for you can't imagine how uncomfortable that must be. Not had a tear myself but, as a hcp it sounds like you are doing everything right. The swab will show if you need different antibiotics. I know it's hard but are you drinking plenty and eating well, that all aida healing
Congratulations on you baby and I hope this clears up very soon. Oh and don't use Epsom salt just keep doing what you are doing.

Clm22 · 25/11/2021 19:36

Thank you so much @Rupertpenrysmistress

Hope this is on the mend a bit soon 🙏🏼🙏🏼

OP posts:
colouringindoors · 25/11/2021 19:37

That nurse sounds Really helpful Confused how could you have known. You did the right thing.

Sounds like you've had a good mix of wide reaching antibiotics. Sounds like you've been unlucky, Metronidazole usually covers this situation.

Tbh I'm not sure what a sitz bath is. But if you're clean when you get in the bath, and it has salt in, that shouldn't be a problem. Did the nurse have anything helpful to advise?

I would contact your midwife a check your hygiene regime just to make sure. I used to use a soapy hand in the shower to clean around my back passage for exsmple.

Aarti96 · 08/12/2021 21:01

Hi OP how are you getting on?
The only bit of advice I can recommend is airing the wound as much as you can. I had a complicated recovery following a 3rd degree tear and making time at least twice a day to just lie down and get some air on the wound helped me massively.
I wouldn’t recommend bathing yet personally, it seemed to make things worse for me.
Also, it’s still really early days. Your body has gone through a lot! Give it time and you’ll feel better before you know it. I am 12 weeks pp and now feel more like myself.
Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Clm22 · 08/12/2021 21:32

Hi @Aarti96. Thanks for the message!
Almost 4 weeks pp now and definitely doing better. I was in a state before and convinced my stitches / wound was infected. I saw the doctor and they seemed to think it was infected due to the redness and burning and took a swab. In the wait for the results I seen the midwife who said my stitches were healing well and was sure it wasn’t infected to my surprise. The smell and discharge she thought was the lochia.
I was prescribed more antibiotics but The results came back as thrush so that makes sense with my symptoms, quite common following antibiotics.
I think my stitches were bothering me at the time, front and back. They seem to be healing better now. The midwife gave me some advice on using a water bottle on the toilet with a touch of milk, lavender oil and warm water to clean the area which helped with the soreness! Stitches seem to be doing better now too!

OP posts:
Tornandbroken · 19/04/2022 21:07

@Clm22 how is your recovery going ? I hope all is going well. I suffered a 4th degree tear in June 2020 so please do DM me if you need any advice or support in any way. I remember how lonely the early days were for me and my worries I was constantly.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.