My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Has anyone been left with a whole range of health issues postpartum?

29 replies

dreamingdream · 13/11/2021 16:29

Before I was pregnant I had no known health issues, but postpartum I am left with a whole range of health issues that I never knew about from my head to my toes, my whole body and I am now on daily medication Shock

Has anyone else been affected like this too? From no known health issues then to having problems all over the body postpartum. Please let me know, am I alone in this? Sad

OP posts:
Workinghardeveryday · 13/11/2021 16:59

I developed ulcerative colitis when dd was about 6 months. There is no proof this was caused by childbirth but my nurse in hospital asked me when I developed it. I explained, same thing happened to her and many of her patients

dreamingdream · 13/11/2021 23:29

@Workinghardeveryday Did you require surgery for your condition postpartum? How did you get it sorted?

OP posts:
Workinghardeveryday · 13/11/2021 23:45

@dreamingdream no, but I nearly died. Was in hospital for months when dd was about 18 months or so. I will always have it. Take lots of meds every day and injection myself every 2 weeks with biologics, very strict diet permanently

CocoaN · 15/11/2021 16:42

Hi there, I had my baby 9 months ago and I feel like I am struggling with a daily battle of health issues. They seem minor but my anxiety seems heightened which panics me. IBS issues, aches and pains, tingling in legs, headaches, palpitations, chest pains etc. This only started since I had my baby and I felt in reasonable health before I fell pregnant.

I have been to the GP and they have done numerous tests but seem to think everything is okay. I have gained some weight so maybe that is playing a part but I also feel like it's a combination of anxiety and also the toll that pregnancy, early motherhood and childbirth has had on my body.

FrangipanFlower · 26/11/2021 16:50

It’s horrible isn’t it, to go from fit and healthy to dealing with health issues. With my first I developed Graves’ disease about 6 months post partum which is a serious thyroid condition with horrible symptoms (palpitations, hair loss, awful insomnia). With my second who is almost 5 weeks old I had a ‘natural’ labour but then had to have my placenta removed manually in surgery and lost three litres of blood. I felt completely utterly broken and busted until very recently, I was readmitted to hospital last weekend with another litre of blood loss and still have some retained placenta!
I don’t feel like myself at all and really weak and lacking in energy. Hopefully I’ll get back to myself eventually… as will you!

Starrr123 · 26/11/2022 19:40

@dreamingdream how are you now ? I gave birth june 2021 and feel like rubbish!
i get good days and bad.
xx

Starrr123 · 26/11/2022 19:40

@CocoaN how are you now ? I have very similar symptoms to you xx

Orangesare · 26/11/2022 19:43

Workinghardeveryday · 13/11/2021 16:59

I developed ulcerative colitis when dd was about 6 months. There is no proof this was caused by childbirth but my nurse in hospital asked me when I developed it. I explained, same thing happened to her and many of her patients

That’s interesting because I did after my second child. IBD does run in my family but I didn’t have any issues before children.

newtb · 26/11/2022 20:12

I lost weight while pregnant, think my thyroid must've speeded up. 4 months after dd weaned herself my thyroid packed up completely. It's so underactive I suffered from hypothermia off and on for 6 months last year. Just put a third quilt on my bed, and dreading winter.

Workinghardeveryday · 27/11/2022 21:26

Orangesare · 26/11/2022 19:43

That’s interesting because I did after my second child. IBD does run in my family but I didn’t have any issues before children.

Makes you think doesn’t it..

chocsaucestrawb · 28/11/2022 18:46

Yep me, 18 wks op and don't feel well still

Put it down to losing 2l of blood and low iron and folate but iron and folate all ok now and bloods showing no issues other than an over active thyroid

My symptoms are

Aches in body
Headaches
Blurry vision
Feels like I'm in a fog
Don't feel myself at all

Spoken to my GP various times but I can tell the think I'm an hypochondriac

Never called the Gp so many times

Feels debilitating

Main symptom is the horrible dizzy foggy head

Anyone else have this?

Last resort is an MRI ok having next week

I'm googling brain tumour symptoms and I have also anxiety over this all

X

Starrr123 · 28/11/2022 22:54

@chocsaucestrawb i have all those symptoms , have had 3 mris all normal . Im thankful but almost thinking it must be something ?
xx

WoodlandWalks123 · 28/11/2022 23:05

Went initially hyper then hypothyroid- v interesting so many have thyroid issues pp

Aussierose2 · 28/11/2022 23:09

Yes it only went away when my period started back ! 6 months pp it was like I could literally feel the fog lift ! So strange.

AllBellyandBoobs · 28/11/2022 23:13

Yes, hyper to hypothyroidism like others on here. I also have IBS and the skin around my episiotomy and natural tear scars is incredibly sensitive and occasionally painful, particularly after exercise 😒

ThePumpking · 28/11/2022 23:25

I had post partum thyroiditis with my first and it seems tk be returning this time too. Mt thyroid is enlarged this time though so a possible scan in 2 or 3 weeks if it hasn't gone down. Interestingly though this time round I've had cbt for health anxiety after a pp bleed and my health issues seem to be much less, I wonder if a lot of it is down to hormones and anxiety in general.

geraniumsandsunshine · 29/11/2022 09:34

Anxiety and most recent period I've been bleeding for 5 days...

geraniumsandsunshine · 29/11/2022 09:37

And not health related directly, but I know it will be at least 4 years before my mental health settles down and I become me. The first 4 years are like being on call 24/7 even when the child is asleep. I feel I can't breathe properly

chocsaucestrawb · 30/11/2022 08:28

@ThePumpking I wonder the same - I had a pp bleed and an awful recovery and I feel so anxious. I wonder if that is contributing
Iam having counselling but have only had one session but I'll mention it at my next session

@Starrr123 that's sort of reassuring to know ! I feel like I'm the only one and envy people who 'look like the my are enjoying normal life ' I know everyone has their own stresses but I feel
This is taking over my life.
How are you feeling now ?
Maybe I'll be more reassured after my MRI

What the next steps for you? X

MyBuggyIsOutToGetMe · 30/11/2022 08:34

For me, in each pregnancy I developed something which “would resolve instantly once the baby was here”: it didn’t. Carpal/cubital tunnel syndrome in my first pregnancy which has caused nerve damage, and SPD in my second pregnancy. My hips still ache now on a daily basis (it’s got a lot worse since the weather got colder and damper) and DC2 is almost 3.

Every inch of my body aches at the moment. I struggle to do the things like knitting and sewing that I did pre-kids. Decorating always sets off the carpal tunnel syndrome but if I avoid that I’m generally not in pain with it, just numbness, tingling and weakness. I can’t get a straight answer from anyone as to whether the nerve damage is permanent but I assume so after this long.

It’s crap! I won’t start on mental health but suffice to say, we’re stopping at two.

VoluptuaGoodshag · 30/11/2022 08:39

My youngest is 17 and since he was born I’ve never felt right. Had to have physio after he was born so my left hip slide back into place. I also had stitches and have been incontinent ever since. I never really wanted a vaginal birth, I do not have child bearing hips and had an emergency C-SECTION with my first. After which I recovered completely with no issues. Normal childbirth ain’t normal for everyone and every day I pay the price. I have back and pelvic issues that get worse now I’m older and still incontinent. Still on NHS waiting list

SB1990 · 11/01/2023 14:26

Hey! Do you still experience the tingling?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SB1990 · 11/01/2023 14:27

@Starrr123 ?

Headabovetheparakeet · 11/01/2023 14:31

I gave birth 4 years ago and have had a range of issues since including prolapse, daily heartburn, higher heart rate and neck/ shoulder stiffness.

No one thing is serious but combined they make me feel like I've aged 15 years in less than 5.

Starrr123 · 11/01/2023 16:36

@SB1990 yes i do on occasion, ive had scans etc. They say im fine xxx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.