My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

How to stop my 18month old breastfeeding - advice please!

8 replies

WHW123 · 06/10/2021 14:16

Hi

I am at the point where I am done with breastfeeding. Although there are moments where my DS can be lovely and cuddly when feeding, the majority of the time he grabs, nips and shouts 'booobaes' at me.
I really want my body back.
I'm pretty sure that he doesn't get much milk from me now and it is comfort. He happily has cows milk in a bottle, and loves his food.
I don't think I'd suffer engorgement as I reduced feeds before returning to work - although they increased again and I've got us back to 1-2 a day. The issue is I've tried saying it's all gone, giving an alternative, offering distraction, and currently reading about plasters on my nips!
Anyone had success stories with particular boob stubborn toddlers?
I am aware I need to get more will power

Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
birdglasspen · 06/10/2021 15:02

At the end I fed only morning and before bed so I dropped morning first, our routine was to have a feed on waking so instead we dressed and went straight downstairs and had a cup of milk there then breakfast, did that for a few weeks before dropping evening feed. Again just changed bedtime routine to avoid the feed and it went very well, mine were younger though, 14/15months. Just redirect, if they are looking for it say no and walk away? Give a cup of milk or juice instead, play a game anything to distract?!

EnidFrighten · 06/10/2021 15:06

You do need to get more will power, but I understand!

I went to feeds only after breakfast, lunch and dinner

Then dropped the lunch one, then the breakfast one, then said after dinner we have milk in a cup now

One child was unbothered, my other one was more persistent!

You will have to lay down the line and stick to it a lot in the coming years - let this be practise! Substitute a cuddle on your lap with a teddy and a cup of warm milk instead. Maybe with a book to help distract.

EnidFrighten · 06/10/2021 15:09

The reason why dropping feeds one by one helps is you are not saying 'no never' to milk, you're saying 'wait and we'll have some later' then you're saying 'cows milk instead' when you drop the final one.

Saying 'no more milk ever' would be a much harder sell to a toddler!

Cheesepuff1 · 06/10/2021 15:13

I just stopped.. they cried.. nothing changed and then they realised crying wasn't bringing it back and got over it.

Kittyofwhitby · 12/10/2021 08:26

I had this. I reduced down from two to none over three weeks. I.E: Three weeks of one and then none. When I dropped a feed I did it on a Saturday so that it wouldn’t cause issues the morning of or night before nursery. I also just left the house and my DH put DD to bed / got her up. I found it was essential for me just not to even be there. It was tough but it was fine. Now when she sees me bf her younger sister she points at my boobs and laughs. Like she doesn’t even remember doing this herself. Prefer she didn’t laugh at my boobs but tbh they do look pretty hilarious right now Grin

Redheadlondon · 13/10/2021 22:24

It is your body, you’ll have to deal with some very short term tantrums, but just say no.

WHW123 · 13/10/2021 22:32

1 week tomorrow off the boob Smile. He still asks but has now goes all gone and is easily distracted!

OP posts:
kegel · 13/10/2021 22:41

Can I ask OP if you had any physical issues when you stopped? I stopped feeding my DS at 6 months and for 2 weeks i had night sweats and felt so teary and depressed! I'm currently trying to wean my 13 month old DD, i had her down to 2 feeds but she had the cold and it went back up to 3 to 4 for comfort. I think I need to be strict again!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.