My feed

to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Can't see GP for c-section incision.

13 replies

DunderBlue · 29/03/2021 04:26

I'm 9 weeks postpartum after a cesarian and my incision has heeled really well, or so I thought. In the last couple of days I've been getting blinding pain and there's a huge hard bit right behind the scar. I called my GP surgery but they said it's not an emergency so I can't even speak to a doctor. When I've called 111 for advice they said to go straight to A&E but my local A&E is 21 miles away and I have a newborn

OP posts:
DunderBlue · 29/03/2021 04:27

I clicked post before I finished by accident.
Basically I can't get to A&E and I really don't think it's an emergency, but I can't speak to my GP because they said it's not urgent. Does anyone know what it could be?

OP posts:
chalktheblockwithglitterchalk · 29/03/2021 06:44

C sections can leave you with aches and pains for a lifetime. The hardness behind the scare is probably just scar tissue. As it's not an infection there is nothing the gp can do to help.

Theunamedcat · 29/03/2021 06:49

You should still be getting phone consultation with your doctor at least? Who is telling you that you cannot?

Chicchicchicchiclana · 29/03/2021 06:52

Why is your GP not handling anything other than urgent cases? That sounds completely wrong?!

When I needed my GP in the depths of lockdown around Christmas time, I had to fill in an e-consult thing, which was just basically quite a lengthy online questionnaire describing my symptoms. My GP followed it up by email and arranged for me to have some tests.

Don't let them fob you off with "not urgent" that's ridiculous.

midsummabreak · 29/03/2021 06:57

I would listen to 111 ‘s advice to go to A&E occasionally the hard lump behind the scar can be a pocket of pus that needs drainage and treatment for infection should not be delayed due to risk of serious complications

Cuntryhouse · 29/03/2021 06:58

How do they know it's not urgent??? Post natal care is imperative. Do you have a walk in centre?

Mistressofmany · 29/03/2021 07:00

I've had two c sections (including one that did not heal for months) and never had blinding pain or a large hard lump. You could try one last call to your gp - make it clear it is an emergency - or you will need to go to a&e. Is there no one who can prioritise you today and help you get there?

Brunt0n · 29/03/2021 07:10


C sections can leave you with aches and pains for a lifetime. The hardness behind the scare is probably just scar tissue. As it's not an infection there is nothing the gp can do to help.

You think people should just accept "blinding pain" 9 weeks post Csec?!

Absolutely not. I have an EMEC and blinding pain is not normal or something you should be expected to just cope with. Discomfort? Yes. Aches? Yes. Blinding pain and a lump? Absolutely not

I would be insisting on being seen by the doctor. They should be doing face to face appts for genuine reasons. My doctor did my smear last week 🤷🏼‍♀️

Don't take no for an answer OP.
PhillipPhillop · 29/03/2021 08:02

I think you should go to A&E. Blinding pain is not normal. The surgery sound very unhelpful but the gp would probably refer you anyway.

PandaFluff · 29/03/2021 08:04

If 111 tell you to go to A&E then that's what you should do. I know it's hard with a baby but if it's serious you need it looked at.

PandaFluff · 29/03/2021 08:06

Or try GP again and tell them you're off to A&E if they can't help. Don't downplay the symptoms either (my mum does this then wonders why they won't see her)

Dandelion3 · 29/03/2021 14:37

I don't think a gp receptionist should be telling you it's not an emergency
Call back and say you want to speak to the duty doctor today and it is an urgent appointment for advice about your c section wound ! Does your GP do telephone triage ? It's dreadful you've been given that advice

B1rthis · 11/04/2021 00:28

Bit late but if the receptionist is saying they have no emergency appointments available then you need to push to speak to the nurse practitioner or ask to speak to the practice manager.
If she says that it's an A&E job, remind them that you are your child's food source and how imperative it is that a baby is not separated at this age from their mum. Say that you will make a formal complaint if you do not speak to someone medical.
Another way forward is to get an out of hours GP appointment by ringing 111.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.