My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Breastfeeding and expressing

6 replies

boymum4 · 24/07/2020 12:13

My ds is 2 weeks old today, he was born by c section. I have been exclusively breastfeeding since he was born and I love doing this. However my scar is getting so sore from having him on my belly whilst feeding all day and all night.

I don't want to stop breastfeeding at all but wondering if I was to express and give him breast milk in a bottle so my partner can do a couple of feeds for him, will this effect his or my ability to breastfeed? (Might be a silly question but I'm so clueless about this)

OP posts:
edin16 · 24/07/2020 12:15

They say to wait till breastfeeding is fully established before introducing bottles so if you feel you're there already? Have you seen the different positions for c section feeding? Lying down, ect?

immagic · 24/07/2020 12:25

Lying down is a really good position or if you feel you can't manage that yet have a pillow on your knee that baby lies on - they do sell breastfeeding pillows that wrap around your body but I actually found a normal pillow to work just as well.
I think if the breastfeeding is going well I'd wait just a few more weeks before expressing and then when you do introduce a bottle try to use it at the same time of day as your body will be able to keep track then.

LatteLover12 · 24/07/2020 12:35

Do you have a pillow OP? That should help lift baby up to the right position. I would avoid giving bottles/expressing so early on.

Are you keeping on top of your painkillers? It's really easy to think you're feeling fine and then get sore again.

lemorella · 24/07/2020 13:41

I think the advice is leave it 6 weeks to fully establish breastfeeding. I actually found expressing much harder then breastfeeding.

Can you switch positions such as laying on your side or the rugby ball hold to shift baby's weight?

I also second a breastfeeding pillow, I got one from Asda for a fiver, they are brilliant aids for tummy time too and I pop my baby on it when I'm getting them dressed or ready for bed.

Aoife0906 · 25/07/2020 03:25

I'm using a pillow and it helps so much! I'm using a my Brest friend pillow as recommended by my hospital especially for after c section. It was expensive but worth it as I've no pain at all on my scar and I am fully supported while feeding my baby. I would definitely recommend this particular type of pillow as it's former than the type
I had in mind prior to having my baby.

Aoife0906 · 25/07/2020 03:26

*firmer not former 🤦🏼‍♀️

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.