My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Itchy episiotomy

9 replies

Melabells · 03/04/2020 17:30

Hi guys, I am 14 days post partum after a forceps delivery of my third baby a DD. Feeding is going well and she has been a dream so far despite a few mental wobbles from me caused by this lock down situation ( I am normally always out the house) my query is my episiotomy stitches are driving me up the wall! They get tender and very itchy in the evenings, what can I put in the bath or on the stitches to help? Thanks

OP posts:
JiltedJohnsJulie · 03/04/2020 18:23

Have you tried adding some salt to your bath? It might sting a little but should help them to heal.

Melabells · 03/04/2020 18:49

Thanks I will give that a try tonight, how much salt should I put in?

OP posts:
HippyChickMama · 03/04/2020 18:51

Witch hazel on a pad helps too

JiltedJohnsJulie · 05/04/2020 09:07

Sorry, on,y just seen this, I’d say two good handfuls as a minimum. How are you feeling today? Thanks

beingajen · 05/04/2020 10:57

I had the same procedure 8 weeks ago. And a few other complications. I also added tea tree oil (just a few drops) however in addition to baths, I got a sitz bath (or pan) which sits in the toilet bowl. You sit on/in it for a while to bathe your bits (also useful for piles). Tea tree and Epsom salts in there is very good for keeping the wounds clean. All available on Amazon.

Best of luck

abbs1 · 05/04/2020 21:31

I have this and its driving me mad! Wakes me up at night and worst in the mornings.
I was told to only have 5min luke warm baths but not told when I can have a proper soak in the bath. I've noticed some of my stitches falling out as I'm 17 days pp. Are you having proper baths or told how long you have to wait? I want one so bad and hate taking showers 😂

Melabells · 06/04/2020 01:49

Thanks for all the replies. The salt is helping and I’m making more of an effort to give it air to see if that heals it up quicker. Think it’s all helping. I don’t sit long in the bath just about 20 mins I just make it a shallow bath aswell partly because I don’t think the baby would let me chill in a bath for that long as she cluster feeds a lot between 6-10.

OP posts:
Reginabambina · 06/04/2020 02:30

If it’s getting really itchy putting on a fresh maternity pad that’s been in the freezer for a couple of minutes can really help.

ChikiTIKI · 06/04/2020 07:14

If you don't have time to air out your bits after a bath, try using the cold setting on your hairdryer if it has one. I used to do that and it saved time and ensured it was completely dry.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.