My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Pnd etc

6 replies

bluemarie87 · 09/02/2020 20:53

So long story short. I've had a baby boy who is an absolute delight and he will be 6 weeks on Thursday. At the beginning I struggled and I've been diagnosed with pnd. I am on seertreline 100mg. Been on sleeping tablets as I didn't manage to sleep at all on my own until I took them them 9 days after he was born. I put it down to anxiety. I am under the perinatal team and a psychiatrist. I have since managed sleep on my own since Tuesday (this is a big deal so I'm proud of that) I love my boy and enjoy aspects of him except the crying and lack of sleep (as everybody does) I don't feel as bad as I did do without the sleep but I still just feel really fed up. Everyday is the same, I'm bored and I miss work. I never thought I'd miss work and I'm sure if I went back early I'd miss him.
Just after people's stories and experiences (mainly postitive from negative) so I know there is hope of me feeling better.
We have no worries at all. Financially able to stay off the year, relationship with partner good, supportive family. Lack of friends with babies I suppose but I just am bored. I have tried to fill my days with things but nothing is giving me pleasure. Any tips, advice, stories???

OP posts:
Footygirl6 · 10/02/2020 03:33

I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling this way. It sounds like you are doing all the right things - getting the support you need etc.

I completely understand where you are coming from r.e feeling bored and lonely. I'm in a similar position. I've found joining classes has helped me because it gives me a focus and something to aim for. I'm slowly working to build up relationships with other mums but I understand how hard this is. Are there any classes you can join? My local library runs free rhyme time sessions for babies - this might be something you could look into?

I haven't really got a success story just a I know how it feels, you're not alone reply. Flowers

BonnieSeptember · 10/02/2020 03:55

I second classes. Of all the things people warn you about when you're pregnant, noone cares to mention how boring and non-stimulating looking after a newborn can be

copperoliver · 10/02/2020 04:07

Sorry you are feeling unwell.
I. Know some people find it hard to go to baby groups on their own but they can be great.
Find out where the baby groups are in your area and take advantage of them.
You can also meet new friends who are in your situation. X

butterflylove81 · 10/02/2020 20:21

Hey I have bipolar was under a perinatal team for both pregnancies I had depression and anxiety in my second pregnancy/mat leave. Groups are what saved me giving me a reason to leave the house and chatting to other mums. I also used to sit in coffee shops just to be around people as I felt lonely at home. I promise it does get better having some routine and structure to your week may help try writing something to do on the calendar each day so you have a plan xx

butterflylove81 · 10/02/2020 20:22

Sometimes the groups at churches are nice but equally the ones that lifted my mood were the baby music classes that involved singing etc they lifted my mood as well as being stimulating for my daughter

Elhan · 12/02/2020 00:02

Totally normal feeling. Newborns don't give much back and I found the days so long and daunting with nothing to do. I would get yourself out tho. Whilst they're tiny and content in their pram, go anywhere u want to go. Museums, galleries, nice walks, cafes with a book. My baby is now 5 months and days in the house can almost be fun because she smiles and laughs and plays sigh toys. But downside is she's not so content to sit in her pram as long now haha. I found even just walking around charity shops for a couple of hours or something made my day break up a bit. At 6 weeks I also missed work a lot, and now I'm going back in a couple of months I'm dreading leaving her

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.