My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Early PND diagnosis?

3 replies

PhyllisVance · 19/09/2019 16:39

I am 12 days PP today and I have spent the last 24 hours in tears. I have cried every day since birth but usually only for a few minutes and then I am fine. Yesterday and today have felt very different.

I had a very straightforward pregnancy and a fantastic labour and delivery but I feel so numb and like I am enjoying my baby less and less. I love her so much but I don’t feel like myself. I’ve completely lost my appetite and feel so overwhelmed. I am a FTM and have been experiencing a lot of anxiety. I feel worse every day rather than better.

I rang my midwife this morning who came out to see me straightaway. She booked me an urgent appt with the GP who I saw later this morning.

Both the midwife and GP have suggested this is early PND and have suggested anti depressants.

This feels like a very early diagnosis so I’ve said I don’t want to rush into anti-d’s today and would rather see how the weekend goes. I’ve got a follow up appt with GP on Monday and have been referred for talking therapy.

I was wondering if anyone else had received such an early diagnosis of PND? It all feels like a lot to take in and whilst I appreciate its good to diagnose early I don’t want to rush into any meds, especially as I am breastfeeding.

Would love to hear anyone else’s experiences of early diagnoses??

OP posts:
PhyllisVance · 19/09/2019 18:37

Bump

OP posts:
mynameiscalypso · 19/09/2019 23:46

I was diagnosed last week at 3 weeks pp although slightly different situation as I had pre-existing MH stuff so I was deemed a high risk and I had a planned appointment with my psychiatrist in the diary. I can relate to a lot of what you said. I was already on sertraline (totally safe when BF by the way) and it definitely helps. There's no harm in waiting to see how you get on over the next few days but do bear in mind that ADs take a while to work. Look after yourself Thanks

PhyllisVance · 20/09/2019 16:26

Thank you @mynameiscalypso I appreciate the reply.

I feel a lot better today but can’t help wonder if this is just temporary and I’ll go back to feeling low tomorrow.

I’ve been reading a bit about sertraline and it seems to be quite mild and a good place to start. I guess my worry is that this isn’t really PND but just baby blues so no need for meds.

It’s a lot to get my head around.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.