My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Anxiety in morning

19 replies

RMW9 · 01/04/2019 12:17

I had my son 5 weeks ago and from week 2 I've had anxiety every morning. It eases as they say progresses. Is this normal? Any advice how to ease it?

OP posts:
FedUpEffedOff · 02/04/2019 09:21

Is this your first baby? I'm not surprised your anxious - it's totally new and overwhelming! My LO is 7 months and somehow we've survived but I've been all over the place emotionally.

Please go easy on yourself. Stay in pyjamas and have cuddles. You are NOT expected to do anything else. Tell people to get stuffed if they tell you otherwise.

How are you feeling today?

Hugs. Thanks

FedUpEffedOff · 02/04/2019 09:22

*you're

gairytoes · 02/04/2019 10:21

Is it just in the morning?

Anxiety is often worse in the mornings. And the hormonal withdrawal after birth can leave you feeling anxious, so sounds 'normal'?

If it's difficult to cope with then seek help. It should begin to dissipate over time.

RMW9 · 02/04/2019 14:37

It's my second baby, didn't have it with my first. Feeling bit better now as the day progresses. Some mornings are worse than others. Xx

OP posts:
gairytoes · 03/04/2019 14:59

Does knowing that it eases off later on help you get through the morning?

Is it worst on waking?

If it's tough for you then a low dose of Sertraline might help. You probably wouldn't need to take it for long.

RMW9 · 07/04/2019 10:24

No it doesn't help even knowing it will ease off. When I'm anxious I can't see past that moment. Explained to doctor and she said it's normal up to 12 weeks postpartum. Just hate this anxious feeling so much. It's so horrible.

OP posts:
Newmumma83 · 07/04/2019 10:34

The hormones are a bit of a shock, I have a 20 week old and up to about 12 weeks I was on off but mostly really really depressed. And the. When it lifted felt so awful for feeling that way when I should be at my happiest .

Hind sight is a wonderful thing but worn anxiety or depression when your in it I know you can’t see the wood for the trees.

You could always speak to your gp see if they can refer you for help or have any medical suggestions.

It does get better, but not for everyone at 12 weeks so do seek help if you need it.

I think it’s natural to be anxious or overwhelmed and the hormonal changes just amplify everything.

Your not alone and talking about it is key too!!

Big hugs

gairytoes · 07/04/2019 11:15

The anxiety can be a normal reaction to a stressful situation, but I wonder if you are suffering from progesterone withdrawal. The fact that it clears through the day. Are you waking up with it?

Did your GP offer any medication? How would you feel about that?

gairytoes · 07/04/2019 11:19

And it is horrible.

There are some mindfulness tools and relaxation which can help until it packs its bags.

Have you noticed if it's becoming a shorter amount of time. So maybe a few weeks ago it lingered until 1pm, but now it eases at 11?

MyFamilyAndOtherAnimals1 · 07/04/2019 11:23

Oooo Flowers it is the worst.

Just remember that:
Many, many people have it - you are not alone.
It's your hormones - it's not you!
You Will feel better!

and I find stepping outside into some sunshine calms my mind a little xxx

RMW9 · 07/04/2019 21:58

Thanks everyone Xx Chatting on here to you all actually makes me feel better Xx Yes I wake up with it. To be honest today was the first day the anxiety eased earlier in the day than usual so hopefully it will continue to ease earlier each day. Doctor was lovely and said to see how I go next few weeks and if I feel it's getting worse rather than better over the next few weeks I should go see her again. I feel quite relaxed tonight but It's awful knowing tomorrow when I wake up I'll be so anxious again. Xx

OP posts:
gairytoes · 18/04/2019 11:51

Just checking in. Hope things are improving.

RMW9 · 19/04/2019 15:30

Awh thank you Xx I have started taking propranolol today as the anxiety is not shifting. I went to a hypnotherapist and she gave me some useful tips. Will wait to see if the meds help. Xx

OP posts:
BlueMerchant · 19/04/2019 15:37

I was fine with my first. Real bad anxiety especially on a morning with my second.
I personally think it was down to the overwhelming realisation that I had my two little ones who were totally dependant on me alone all day until my partner came home from work. I was quite isolated and felt a huge responsibility.

RMW9 · 19/04/2019 17:06

Yeah I'm sure that's it too. Just hate the wandering thoughts and catastrophising everything. Baby had 8 week check up and was told he had a murmur. Took him to cardiologist who said it's just turbulent blood flow through pulmonary artery which can be common in babies. Even though he reassured me that it usually fixes itself as child grows but I can't settle with that. Keep thinking the worst outcome. Xx

OP posts:
BlueMerchant · 19/04/2019 17:35

Really feel for you. Am sure you wouldn't have been sent home with your little one had the cardiologist been too worried and had it been a situation where something was likely to happen however I understand that this means very little when you start the cycle of ruminating and catastrophic thinking.
I felt faint one day at home and started thinking about what would happen if I fainted and my children 1yr& newborn were alone all day. I would imagine fires, choking, falls etc etc. It was an horrendous time as after this initial day these thoughts would come everyday and would escalate and cause horrible anxiety symptoms.
When my OH returned from work I would calm down and by evening id be fine. However, as the night wore on I would be dreading waking up to the next day when I would be alone and in sole charge again.
I know my situation was different to yours I just wanted you to know that there are many like you who have these dreadful thoughts and it must be so scary when based on an actual medical situation- rather than an imagined one as mine was but rest assured the consultant wouldn't send you home (and compromise their career) if they were worried about your lo.
The think that helped me was CBT and really challenging my thoughts.
My DC are 8&9 now but that morning anxiety feeling of getting up to begin the day with my two Lo's is still fresh in my mind.

RMW9 · 19/04/2019 22:08

Your situation was very like mine. I start to feel better as the day progresses and then when I go to bed I start to feel the panic. I just keep thinking worst case scenarios. My doctor calls it the three d's: dread, despair and death, where you start to have catastrophic thoughts of those three things. Apparently those feelings are common for the first few months postnatal. It does help to know this is somewhat 'normal' and many others feel this way. I just can't wait for the day it lifts. How long did you feel that way for?

OP posts:
BlueMerchant · 20/04/2019 10:26

If I'm honest I felt this way for about a year. (Am sure it's not like this for everyone).
It was so awful one day I contacted my HV and told her how I was feeling and how it was impacting our lives. I often feel guilty about this but she helped me secure a place in a private nursery for my DS and DD a couple of mornings a week so I could have a few hours a week to myself to attend CBT appointment and so I could look after 'me'. It was expensive but worth it (Blush)and after 12 weeks I felt much better and felt more equipped to cope.

RMW9 · 21/04/2019 06:53

It's great that my mum comes up in the mornings to help out. I can take some time to get a shower and dressed etc. The propranolol isn't working so well for me so I'll be at the doctors next week again. During the late afternoon when I feel a bit more myself I wish I could bottle that feeling and take it when I wake up in the morning. Xx

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.