My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Separation anxiety in mum!

1 reply

Samanthacb2014 · 15/07/2018 23:45

What can I do to easy my separation anxiety?? (FIRST TIME POSTING) I’m a new mum and baby is now 10 weeks old, me and hubby have an incredible busy August with weddings and a few nights away from baby and I’m feeling SO anxious about leaving her even if it’s just for the day. She will be with a grandparent each time but it’s keeping me up at night thinking about not being with her. I have never suffered from anxiety until having her and since then new experiences with her have proved to really stress me out, the worry that she’s not happy. For example a recent car journey (not in the car seat longer than NHS guidelines) were she got bored and a bit ratty left me almost unable to breath and the feeling of my chest being squashed all from the thought that she was sad from something I wanted to do (driving somewhere for a day trip). Any advise would be very helpful!

OP posts:
merlotmummy14 · 16/07/2018 00:17

Hi Samantha! Such a shame to hear your feeling this way but don't worry as hormones can be quite messy for several months after giving birth. Have you spoken to your GP or health visitor about your anxiety? Some short term anxiety meds could help you out as it does sound a little bit like a hormonal irrationality. Some breathing techniques and rationalizing the situation could help. Have you tried the 5-4-3-2-1 method? Name out loud 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can smell, 2 things you can hear and 1 thing you can taste. I think it's great that you're getting a break for these weddings! Although you'll miss her and be nervous, you'll no doubt get plenty of updates and your bond will be stronger when you return.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.