My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Am I ok?

9 replies

jmscp2015 · 20/03/2018 21:14

Apart from the initial baby blues I've been feeling ok up until recently..

DD is 15w and I absoloutely adore her, apart from the usual problems we all have with babies there's nothing wrong there. The bond is there, it's just me at the moment.

Over the past couple of weeks I'm so tired, all I want to do is sleep in the day when she's napping (she's generally a good sleeper so it isn't being awake all night). I'm cancelling all my appointments I have because I don't want to go out. I'm anxious about cancelling them though as well and making excuses about not going to anything as I don't want anybody to be mad at me.

I've suffered with anxiety and depression years ago but I don't know if it's that creeping back in or if this I just normal?

I feel lonely as well, I've got such a supportive OH and family. But I'm so lonely, I have no friends with babies and all my attempts of going to groups have fallen flat as they all seem to already have their cliques.

Is this normal? I have a doctors appt tomorrow I'm already worrying about having to go to. Shall I mention if?

I feel like I'm letting my DD down. Sad

OP posts:
becki3 · 20/03/2018 22:39

I don't think that you're letting your baby down, at all! It sounds like you're doing a great job, but I would 100% mention how you are feeling at your appointment tomorrow.

I can relate to your situation, my daughter is 16 weeks and I've found that I have began isolating myself from my friends becaus I feel like they don't really know what I'm going through. Antenatal classes and baby groups are not something that I feel comfortable going to, so I totally get that we can back ourselves into a corner and make ourselves feel lonely.

I would concentrate and lean on your supportive partner and family, as you are so lucky to have that!

Good luck at the doctor's appointment tomorrow, talking it out with the right people will really help you out!

jmscp2015 · 21/03/2018 00:13

@becki3 thank you so much for your kind reply Smile I will definitely mention it tomorrow.

It's hard isn't it? Sad

OP posts:
elefunk · 21/03/2018 00:54

Mines at 37wks and I'm only just starting to get out a bit more, baby groups etc. (Not really my thing but I'm trying!)

I would say it was around a similar time I started staying in, cancelling and napping a lot! Grin the first 12 weeks or so I was out regularly, but I wonder if that's part of the 'new baby hype' with friends and family inviting me places and visiting.

Doesn't hurt to mention it though, just do what feels right for you.

winetomorrow · 21/03/2018 01:00

Have you been managing to eat properly? My iron levels dropped around that time (who has time to eat with a baby!) and restarting my tablets made a massive difference to my tiredness and anxiety. Might be worth asking to dr to check your iron levels? Hope you start to feel better soon.

jmscp2015 · 21/03/2018 04:46

@elefunk poor you, I couldn't cope with this feeling for that long glad your feeling a bit better. I will definitely still mention it I think, I just know I'm not right.

@winetomorrow That's interesting, I did have a massive blood loss and nearly needed transfusion but they decided to put me on tablets. They said they where going to retest my iron but never mentioned it again and I must admit I just let it go. I will mention that to the doctor, thank you. My really good appetite and recent healthy eating has totally gone out the window, I just can't face anything so what I do grab is just 'easy'

Thank you both so much for your replies Smile

OP posts:
becki3 · 21/03/2018 18:34

It is difficult!

I think that eating the right stuff puts you in a much better mind set. I'm not sure of this helps, but I've found that, if I put the baby rocker in the kitchen with me an strap her in, it gives me a bit of time to make something healthier and my daughter is occupied for a moment. Or, if you don't feel like cooking at all, buying prepared/dried fruit and snacking on that it really good!

winetomorrow · 22/03/2018 03:11

Hope the appointment with the dr goes well. Anxiety is awful and it's so much worse when you're tired. And as awesome as babies are they're exhausting little monsters! Don't be so hard on yourself, you're not alone in how you're feeling. In fact with all things pregnancy/baby related I find if you mention it to another mum/dr they'll say 'oh that's normal' to literally everything (I lost a toenail thanks to my monster...totally normal lol)!!

2ducks2ducklings · 22/03/2018 04:26

Could you attend some sort of baby sensory class or similar? They sometimes run with definite new course dates so that the chances are, everyone will be new to the group and the chances of the dreaded mom cliques are reduced.

jmscp2015 · 22/03/2018 08:14

Appointment with the doctor went really well thank you. As I say I've suffered with my anxiety before and it's really quite crippling and we had a good chat and she's suggested I try some sertraline, so that's what I'm going to do. Here's hoping I feel better soon. She also suggested to check my iron levels before I could say anything so she was fantastic, I'm having bloods next week and back in to see her the week after. Feeling a tiny bit more positive having just spoken about it with somebody fully.

Thank you ladies all so much for your replies.

A good few weeks ago now I did book into a sensory/ music class to start in a few weeks and I'm hoping that's the case with it @2ducks2ducklings it is a 'term' so hoping there's other newbies there. Thank you. Smile

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.