My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

As with all health-related issues, please seek advice from a RL health professional if you're worried about anything.

Postnatal health

Baby rejects soft breast

4 replies

babayagga · 28/02/2018 20:59

I used to think I had a milk supply issue and am taking fenugreek, which has certainly helped. However, one thing I’ve noticed is that my 6-week-old likes my breasts to feel full and hard- if they are, she latches on easily and gulps away. But if the breasts are soft, she rejects them as if they were empty, even if there is milk spraying from them! My lactation consultant said this was most unusual, as apparently babies prefer softer breasts because they’re easier to latch onto.

Anyone else with a similar ‘soft breast’ experience? Hmm

OP posts:
Vicksykate · 01/03/2018 23:04

I feel a bit like my little girl does the same thing (she’s almost 5 weeks old), but I’m not sure if it’s just because I find it easier to manoeuvre her mouth and my boob together when they are more firm... I have quite large breasts, and find that when they’re soft they seem quite overwhelming for her (they are literally three times the size of her head). When my breasts are softer, I feel like it’s much more effort to get her to latch on, and sometimes she seems stressed by the prospect, and I feel like I’m forcing it on her. It can be hard to stay calm in that situation...
I’m planning on going to a breast feeding meet up in one of the local children’s centres (was going to go yesterday, but the snow came!) and am hoping that they can give some advice. But you’re not alone! Xx

DrewBerry95 · 01/03/2018 23:06

My DS does this, he loves a full, lumpy breast that's hard and full of milk!

His latch isn't as great when my breast are soft and he gets incredibly frustrated with them. Where as he will latch happily and straight away when it's the opposite

He's 4 months nearly

babayagga · 02/03/2018 00:11

Great to know some other babies do this- it clearly isn’t as unusual as all that!

Have you found any solutions/ways of working around this?

OP posts:
Vicksykate · 02/03/2018 06:35

At the moment it's just been a case of patience and persistence, trying to remain calm, and encouraging her, but this doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to wait for her to get really hungry before she'll even try and latch, which isn't ideal, or try her on the other breast even if she's already had it, or it's even softer, just to try and convince her to try. Again, doesn't always work. I'm hoping that the breastfeeding drop in next week might have some more useful advice - if so, I'll be sure to pass it on! Xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.