My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Why do people vote differently for council and govt?

5 replies

AuntieMaggie · 07/05/2010 16:52

We've just had the local council ward results announced - why are they so different from the overall govt votes?

OP posts:
Takver · 07/05/2010 17:08

I often vote differently for the council elections.

I guess many people are more inclined to vote taking account of the individuals standing for election as opposed to voting for a particular party as an individual councillor has much more weight in what happens in the local area, as compared to one individual MP's influence on national affairs.

Also, for example, I might support one party's policies for our area, or think that they are more competent administrators, but prefer a different party at a national level - the local council aren't running the economy, making foreign policy decisions etc.

MaureenMLove · 07/05/2010 17:23

Personally, my National vote is for a different party than local, because although I don't agree with a lot of the policies of one, they are doing a fantastic job in our local area. We are incredibly well looked after and there are lots of opportunities, for young people in particular, here.

Nationally, I agree more with the other party!

ScreaminEagle · 07/05/2010 17:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday · 07/05/2010 17:36

i voted differently.

our council election was a close-run thing between labour/conservative last time. I knew Lib Dems had NO chance of getting in, and I didn't want Conservative so I voted tactically. Sadly Tories still got in!

I did take the plunge and vote Lib Dem for govt. now wishing i had voted tactically there too! lol

craftynclothy · 07/05/2010 17:41

Well my local council seat was close between Morley Borough Independents, Labour and BNP (bnp member was the one up for re-election).

My MP was close between labour and conservative (tis the Ed Balls seat).

So when voting for my MP I'd generally pick between labour and conservative. When voting locally, I'd tend to vote more tactically to stop the bnp getting in again (tbh I was surprised labour got more votes than the bnp in it as I thought it was mainly a battle between MBI and BNP)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.