Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Really dim Q about the election

4 replies

ASecretLemonadeDrinker · 05/05/2010 10:40

I did government and politics A level and I still don't know how it works Firstly, when I vote, am I voting for local MP and then from that the governemt are elected. or do I vote for local and 'national', or just for national? How is the winner (prime minister wise) 'counted'? I remember vaguely about the different systems

OP posts:
MintHumbug · 05/05/2010 10:53

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chil1234 · 05/05/2010 10:56

You vote twice tomorrow. First for your local council representative. Second for your parliamentary representative (your MP). The party with 326 or more MPs at the end of the day has majority and will form a government with their leader taking the role of PM. If no single party has 326 seats then that is a hung parliament and they have to form coalitions to decide who's in charge.

BTW If you passed a politics A level recently and are struggling with the basics like this then I suggest you don't vote Labour for obvious reasons... .

ASecretLemonadeDrinker · 05/05/2010 11:01

Was many moons ago

I live in a very very safe conserv. area (am voting Conserv.). Oh well, I guess I better still vote incase everyone thinks "I won't bother as it's safe" and the Raving Loony Party get in or something!

OP posts:
patienceplease · 05/05/2010 11:42

YOu might not be voting twice tomorrow as chil1234 says - in some areas its "just" the general election, so voting once. In other areas its for local councils as well - when you go to vote you might be given one thing to write on, or more depending where you are.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.