Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Nigel Farage?

60 replies

lovesheart · 26/07/2023 07:27

Slowly listening more to news and politics.. I'm out the loop atm

Was watching about Nigel Farage and the NatWest bank story. It said NatWest were worried he was racist and xenophobic.

Is he? Hope it's ok to ask, just haven't heard any of his speeches or views yet, I've seen him on some discussions and none of that has been indicated in the snippets I've seen.

Do you think he is? Is he still UKIP leader? Will he ever be in any other party? You may see a few obvious dumb questions pop up now and again whilst I get my head around how it works 😅

OP posts:
AgathaSpencerGregson · 30/07/2023 09:11

lljkk · 30/07/2023 09:01

They broke data protection laws .

Did they? Farage went public (lots newspaper articles) saying he was financially skint & struggling in 2018-2020. Alice Rose (CEO of Coutts) told Simon Jack (BBC) that Farage probably didn't meet the income requirements. When she resigned/apologised she said that she made that "mistake" because she thought it was information widely in the public domain already.

my question is, other than say he didn't meet the income requirements, what did Coutts person (AR) say that "broke GDPR" ?

The ICO has expressed some concerns in this case I believe. Details about an individual’s financial position are undoubtedly personal data and to disclose them without a legal basis for doing so would amount to unlawful processing under DPIA 2018 (the uk legislation which imports GDPR into our law). It wouldn’t be a defence to claim you thought it was in the public domain already; if you are the data controller you ought not to get that wrong.
more important I would say is the duty of client confidentiality which has been applicable to banking more or less forever. I think it’s the disregard for that which is especially shocking to people.

lljkk · 30/07/2023 22:44

Wait a minute... was Farage's account closed because he fell below the minimum Coutts threshold... or not? Express says NOT. Telegraph says NOT.

If NOT, then Rose was merely speculating not speaking out of knowledge of facts. In which case, she didn't break GDPR because she was guessing from information in public domain. In which case, could Farage sue her for slander?

RafaistheKingofClay · 31/07/2023 06:57

Once the mortgage was paid off in March he didn’t meet the threshold. So whether his account was closed for that reason or not seems to depend on your interpretation of the memo.

Happyfluffball · 31/07/2023 07:18

In response to the OP I personally don't think Farage is racist or xenophobic. He is concerned about the state of the UK and wants the government to do right by the British people. He's one of the few honest politicians left but it's just that the truth doesn't sound pretty.

AgathaSpencerGregson · 31/07/2023 07:40

lljkk · 30/07/2023 22:44

Wait a minute... was Farage's account closed because he fell below the minimum Coutts threshold... or not? Express says NOT. Telegraph says NOT.

If NOT, then Rose was merely speculating not speaking out of knowledge of facts. In which case, she didn't break GDPR because she was guessing from information in public domain. In which case, could Farage sue her for slander?

i think the only time at which this particular line of enquiry becomes relevant to anyone other than those desperate to excuse Rose for her poor conduct is if the ICO decides to take action against Coutts or NatWest. If this were to happen (and I don’t think it will, at least not on the grounds of these disclosures). If the disclosures were correct in terms of the substance of his financial position and based on her knowledge of that I think the relevant data controller entity will struggle to distance itself from them. If they were inaccurate tittle tattle it will be much easier for the DC to say crazy woman on a frolic of her own, not our responsibility.
latter scenario seems the likely one to me.

AgathaSpencerGregson · 31/07/2023 07:43

Although if Rose did have direct knowledge of Farage’s financial circs then there are some potentially interesting questions as to how she came by that. She’s the group CEO not involved in day to day running of the bank. So did she need to know? Why? Are coutts privacy procedures as they should be? And so on.

MarkWithaC · 31/07/2023 07:56

It is inexcusable for the bank to have discussed a client’s private financial matters. But on the actual subject of why they closed his account, Coutts is a private bank and can do what they want. There is zero reason from the point of view of public interest why this should warrant government investigation and the reams of publicity it’s garnered for this odious individual.

lljkk · 31/07/2023 07:57

California bar questions are made up of the sort of question I posed, all the time.

AgathaSpencerGregson · 31/07/2023 10:22

lljkk · 31/07/2023 07:57

California bar questions are made up of the sort of question I posed, all the time.

I hope the examiners phrase the questions more clearly. In any event, the question of whether or not rose’s actions amounted to a breach of the DPIA 2018 (GDPR isnt in force in the UK post Brexit, but the DPIA is in substance the same) by the relevant data controller (presumably Coutts) is only of practical importance if the ICO decides to take action, which I think it’s unlikely to do.
Of more importance is the fact that the strongest argument in her favour seems to be well yes she is a blabbermouth; one who got her facts wrong. If that’s the best you can say for her it seems to me everyone’s better off with her out of the picture.

lljkk · 31/07/2023 11:31

California bar exam questions tend to be about 500 words long, so yeah, a lot more detail. I listen to a lot of legal podcasts; being prone to hyperbole and having a chronic record of trash talking can be a defence in defamation suits.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.