Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Michelle Mone - the Guardian

26 replies

IsThePopeCatholic · 09/12/2022 18:20

I know the Guardian always gets a bashing on MN because of its stance on Trans matters (and I am GC), but what a fantastic job the Guardian are doing on exposing Michelle Mone and her £100m profiteering racket over PPE. What a thoroughly shameless individual she is.

OP posts:
Abhannmor · 30/12/2022 10:24

She encapsulates why the Lords must go.

Interesting that she has been abandoned by the Tories over a paltry £30m swindle. We don't hear much about the woman who seems to have mislaid £37 billion that was meant for Track and Trace.

Could it be because Mone is from Glasgow and not on the inside track - unlike the latter?

AgentProvocateur · 30/12/2022 10:31

She’s a deeply unpleasant person too.

beguilingeyes · 30/12/2022 10:32

Why are none of these people accountable for their actions? I don't understand why they can lie and grift and there's no comeback. I read today that we're paying both Hancock and Johnson's legal fees for their Covid fuck-ups. How is that right?

Summerhillsquare · 30/12/2022 10:38

The dear old Groniad has been exceptionally good at exposing corruption over the years - Panama papers for example. And nothing has come of it, god help us. We used to score so highly on the anti corruption index, I dread to think where we are now.

mach2 · 30/12/2022 23:34

I've read the Graun for decades, back to when it was a slim broadsheet (it was much better then!) and always admired it for digging out government dodgy doings. Pity about the gender stance, as IsThePopeCatholic says.

Covid procurement has been a massive corruptathon - there should be indictments at high level over this, but there won't be. Jess Phillips has raised the matter of established PPE providers in her patch not getting a look in - now she knows why!

MaryMcCarthy · 09/01/2023 11:00

Bloody lefties and their investigative journalism.

Grantanow · 20/01/2023 13:03

The Mone affair is a disgrace. She should be thrown out of the Lords. We should be grateful for investigative journalism that uncovers this kind of thing.

Grantanow · 30/01/2023 10:27

It greatly annoys me that Johnson's legal costs are being paid by the taxpayer but if Ministers were personally liable only the very rich could afford to take Ministerial jobs given the likelihood of being sued by someone for any action or decision taken in office. That would disadvantage the talented but unwealthy candidate (especially Labour MPs) and if Ministers were personally liable it's likely they would be at risk of costly proceedings brought for purely political or malicious reasons. I think the taxpayer has to grin and bear it alas.

Happygirl79 · 03/09/2023 19:19

Well here we are now in September 2023 and she is still free. The government have done nothing and neither have the police.
The corruption is unreal

dubsie · 14/09/2023 20:42

I like the guardian, excellent journalists. It's good that we still have a handful of news papers that actually practice journalism.

The PPE scandal is shocking and it shows the failure of the Tory government. Not only did they fail to plan for an emergency they were told would happen, when it did happen they left medical staff without PPE. Many died as a result...let's not forget that. That would be corporate manslaughter in the private sector. Then in complete panic to secure PPE they hatched a plan that would allow their wealthy backers to make billions from us tax payers. Some of them were included in the honours list. Where was their civic duty, their allegiance to their country....no not them ....make billions and live it up while 4000 people a day died from COVID.

It's pretty sick when you break it down but many have forgotten all that and now the government is blaming those on welfare for the mess. It sounds like austerity all over again.

nibblemonster · 14/09/2023 20:51

the current govt and their cronies are more corrupt than I can remember in living memory. Such a sad state of affairs.

Kendodd · 14/09/2023 21:23

beguilingeyes · 30/12/2022 10:32

Why are none of these people accountable for their actions? I don't understand why they can lie and grift and there's no comeback. I read today that we're paying both Hancock and Johnson's legal fees for their Covid fuck-ups. How is that right?

That's what gets me.
Nothing will happen to any of them, they'll get to keep all the money they made and probably more. No consequences.
They should be in prison.

Amana · 18/12/2023 08:24

Kendodd · 14/09/2023 21:23

That's what gets me.
Nothing will happen to any of them, they'll get to keep all the money they made and probably more. No consequences.
They should be in prison.

And OFSTED’s top legal team, paid for by the tax payer, when Ruth Perry’s family were denied legal aid and had to crowdfund for their legal support.

dubsie · 18/12/2023 11:10

I hope the next Labour government will disband the lord's...it really is out of date and saturated with corruption.

Offwiththecircus · 18/12/2023 17:26

dubsie · 18/12/2023 11:10

I hope the next Labour government will disband the lord's...it really is out of date and saturated with corruption.

I wouldn't bank on starmer to do anything. About anything. Suppose he might just find a policy/commitment under his tree. Though rather doubt it. Waste of space/pixels.

dubsie · 18/12/2023 17:32

Well if labour wants to change stuff it needs to start with the establishment....it needs trashing, tearing down.

Offwiththecircus · 18/12/2023 22:22

dubsie · 18/12/2023 17:32

Well if labour wants to change stuff it needs to start with the establishment....it needs trashing, tearing down.

From what I can see starmer's labor will just polish it.

BIossomtoes · 19/12/2023 07:26

The Labour shadow cabinet has made it crystal clear that the Mones of this world will be pursued hard through the courts in order to retrieve as much of our money as possible if they win power.

donquixotedelamancha · 19/12/2023 07:35

Grantanow · 30/01/2023 10:27

It greatly annoys me that Johnson's legal costs are being paid by the taxpayer but if Ministers were personally liable only the very rich could afford to take Ministerial jobs given the likelihood of being sued by someone for any action or decision taken in office. That would disadvantage the talented but unwealthy candidate (especially Labour MPs) and if Ministers were personally liable it's likely they would be at risk of costly proceedings brought for purely political or malicious reasons. I think the taxpayer has to grin and bear it alas.

The answer is that the crime of misconduct in public office should be strengthened to severely punish dishonesty.

She lied to the Lords register of interest and to the public. That alone should he enough to automatically remove someone from office.

Startingagainandagain · 19/12/2023 07:41

The reason Mone and her equally vile husband got away with this for so long is that people in government knew full well what was going on with dodgy PPE contracts, VIP lane and so on.

They could not go after her without exposing themselves.

Now that the scandal is in the open she does not want to go down alone and is starting to name the other people who made a huge profit at taxpayers expenses through the pandemic (see her latest tweets).

I hope this brings down the whole corrupt, lying lot...

LadyWithLapdog · 19/12/2023 07:47

The corruption was so plain to see. How is it taking so long?

HelpMeGetThrough · 19/12/2023 07:57

Well here we are now in September 2023 and she is still free. The government have done nothing and neither have the police.

The government can't. If they did, half of them, or more would be exposed.

The Police are no better either.

CormorantStrikesBack · 19/12/2023 07:59

I read somewhere that her husband is also getting investigated by Spain for fraud issues. Seem a right pair.

dubsie · 19/12/2023 08:44

My opinion is that all of them including most of the cabinet should be arrested and charged. Thousands died, billions of pounds stolen ....they all have to be held to account. But that won't happen because the system is run by the establishment which controls everything from the police to the courts.

It's sickening but we've been here before. The Torys are always the same.... Majors government went a similar way with cash for questions etc but it was nothing compared to the criminals running us right now.

I've never voted Tory and I never will. Labour is the only party that is capable of changing things. Reform is just the worst of the conservatives and the lib Dems never keep a promise. So although I don't rate Starmer he's by far the best choice.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.