Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

US Midterms

38 replies

CaveMum · 01/11/2022 11:09

Just wondering if anyone else is keeping an eye on what is happening across the Pond?

US Midterm elections next week and it's looking like the Republicans will take back control of the House which will make it incredibly difficult for Biden's administration to get much passed. The Senate still looks deadlocked too.

Of course, we know that polling can be wrong. Where's Joey Lucas when you need her?!

OP posts:
Abhannmor · 12/11/2022 09:01

Democrats take Arizona. Just needs Nevada to come through.

The big positive is the the threat to women's rights seems to have stirred young voters into action - and this despite inflation and other negatives. Glad to be proven wrong.

CaveMum · 12/11/2022 10:38

Hopefully the engagement of young people continues into the Presidential election in 2024!

OP posts:
CaveMum · 13/11/2022 08:03

Nevada called for the Dems! They hold the Senate.

OP posts:
MorrisZapp · 13/11/2022 08:20

I never understand how here in dusty old blighty we nip to the polls, count the bits of paper, announce the winners then someone stands at a podium with their spouse all within 24 hours or not far off. Yet the Americans vote and count for days, and give running totals. In a world where cash barely exists and I can say 'shower gel' out loud and have it delivered the next day it just doesn't make sense.

CaveMum · 13/11/2022 13:18

I think there are rules in some States that say they’re not allowed to start counting postal votes until Election Day itself. I guess it must be a sheer volume of ballot papers thing, plus they seem to put all elections on one ballot so they each need to be counted 2/3 times depending on how many elections are taking place.

It is definitely needlessly complicated as Josh demonstrated!

OP posts:
Quartz2208 · 13/11/2022 14:21

Yes I think it is because there are different rules for different States and some races are a lot closer.

It is often the same States that need to be waited for!

MsAmerica · 13/11/2022 21:16

It's a sign of what bad shape America is in, that other countries may attention to the midterms.

In decades past, even Americans didn't pay much attention to midterms.

CaveMum · 16/11/2022 10:49

The news we were all expecting/dreading then. My understanding was that the GOP were hoping that Trump would leave announcing his run until after the Georgia run off in case it encouraged the Dems to come out in force.

OP posts:
CaveMum · 17/11/2022 09:31

There goes The House!

OP posts:
MsAmerica · 19/11/2022 00:53

CaveMum · 16/11/2022 10:49

The news we were all expecting/dreading then. My understanding was that the GOP were hoping that Trump would leave announcing his run until after the Georgia run off in case it encouraged the Dems to come out in force.

Seems to me that anyone in Georgia who can see the obvious, that the Republican candidate Hershel Walker is truly a moron, will be motivated to vote against him. I was just reading a sad little article about how Stacey Abrams did so much to stoke the Georgia voters, but still failed in her own bid for office.

onlylarkin · 22/11/2022 00:17

Dang, I wish I had seen this back on election day. I love watching the results come in.

Every state has different laws in regards to voting. The state I live in has probably 98% mail in ballots. Though people can and do vote in person.

Historically, a new sitting President typically looses Congress at the first mid-term.

Historically, the economy is the #1 topic that people vote about. I actually expected Republicans to take Senate too for this very reason.

The Roe vs. Wade ruling decimated what probably would have been a landside for Republics what with the economy.

THANK EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY most Trump backed candidates lost. If he causes those running to lose seats, they wont back him.

And the best thing ever, when he did announce that he is running again, the majority of the news media flat out ignored it. Narcissists do not like being ignored.

If you want to look deeper, look at how some states may be able to use Sec 3 of the 14th Amendment to keep him off the ballots in that state. Without being on the ballot in every single state, he wont win.

If you are interested in more about that, this has a good explanation on it. www.verifythis.com/article/news/verify/donald-trump/whether-14th-amendment-applies-to-trump-depends-on-3-eligibility-questions/536-5c0a3f9a-c3d1-4315-846f-7af6e0fd8a30

MsAmerica · 27/11/2022 20:31

Apropos of #Onlylarkin saying, "when he did announce that he is running again, the majority of the news media flat out ignored it," I wanted to add something funny.

The New York Post, a Murdoch-owned right-wing tabloid that has long supported Trump, is now so disenchanted that, hilariously, they covered Trump's declaration of his candidacy with only a small inside article headlined:

“Florida Man Makes Announcement.”

www.mediaite.com/news/maggie-haberman-weighs-in-after-brutal-ny-post-florida-man-cover-draws-laughs-in-cnn-studio-tailor-made-to-upset-trump/

www.mediaite.com/trump/ny-post-viciously-trolls-trump-2024-announcement-with-front-page-insult/

onlylarkin · 28/11/2022 00:34

That was the one I was thinking of. Hilarious!

Trump is even more gross (if possible) after his meeting yesterday.

Kayne is also spiraling and his downfall will be interesting.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.