Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Trump v May

11 replies

Parker231 · 30/07/2017 10:36

I've always been interested in politics; watch news programmers, read newspapers etc, did Politics as my degree etc.

Family debate at breakfast as to whether Trump or May will loose office first. I think May is incompetent and Trump dangerous. Both are out of touch with relatity and we'll look back in years to come at the damage they caused their country and the world.

OP posts:
Rufustherenegadereindeer1 · 30/07/2017 11:35

May will leave first i reckon

Not necessarily pushed

honeysucklejasmine · 30/07/2017 11:37

The republicans are probably more desperate to hold on to power. None of them are gunning to remove Trump, and it requires a huge majority to do so.

May is surrounded by plotters and backstabbers in her own party.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 · 30/07/2017 11:52

Yeah

What honey said would be my reasoning as well

I think it would be seen as losing face for the republicans

TheaSaurass · 01/08/2017 00:56

The odds must be shortening on Trump being first.

He is 71 years old, and with staff turnover now down to 10-days, he is so confused he fully supports senior staff one hour, toasts them the next - he'll fire himself soon.

Kursk · 01/08/2017 01:14

Trump will stick with it, I expect he will serve the full 8 years. I fully expect everything to settle down within the next 6 months to a year.

May will get taken out by her own party in the next few months.

However in politics the best way to turn your career around is to start a war. ( Thacher and the Faulklands) etc. So expect a war. NK seems like a easy target

Mistigri · 01/08/2017 15:16

May's position is politically much more precarious. She has no majority in either chamber; Trump has a majority in both. It's also much more complicated to remove a US president than to change a UK party leader.

Unless he stands down (due to being ill or getting bored) Trump can only be removed if he loses the support of the Republican party.

May could be removed pretty quickly if it weren't for the fact that Davis and other potential challengers fear that it would result in a GE that they would lose.

OTOH May is clearly in good physical health whereas Trump is an overweight 70 year old who uses a golf cart rather than walk short distances and who is obviously suffering from some sort of cognitive impairment. So with a bit of luck he won't last the distance.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 · 01/08/2017 19:33

he'll fire himself soon.

Grin

TheaSaurass · 01/08/2017 21:47

"May's position is politically much more precarious."

There is a subtle difference.

May's position is due to her own party/political judgement leading up to the recent general election; she knows it, they know it, and when it is time right up to the next general election, she will be asked to stand down.

Trump on the other hand does not believe he is in the wrong could be facing impeachment for illegal or un-American activities, and when, or whether he gets forced from office, it will not be of his own timing.

SuperBeagle · 01/08/2017 21:49

Trump will do a full 4 year term, IMO.

Not confident that May will see out her term, but it's much easier to get rid of a Prime Minister than it is to get rid of a US President. But they may keep May around because of Brexit and the inherent instability that that will create in the short-term.

TheaSaurass · 01/08/2017 23:14

The point of May staying on is clearly to maintain the current political stability, as the UK has had minority governments over the 20th and this century before that worked, and the current 'alternative' is a Labour -SNP coalition - with one leader who hates the 'capitalist' UK, and the other leader who both hates, and wants to leave, the UK.

Hardly a win-double.

Both main parties support 'the peoples' will via Brexit (but the SNP does not so will add confusion), and the last thing the UK business community need now is the certainty of much higher taxes under the 'alternative', added to the uncertainties during negotiations over Brexit.

twofingerstoEverything · 03/08/2017 00:05

...the current political stability

PMSL

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.