another ex-Eton College to run as London mayor

28 replies

AFewGoodWomen · 02/10/2015 10:28

Social mobility?
Do the Tories care?
Clearly not.

OP posts:
scatterthenuns · 02/10/2015 10:30

He was the best candidate for the job though.

Collymollypuff · 02/10/2015 10:34

He's got the cheekbones. I wonder if he's done anything with pigs?

Isitmebut · 02/10/2015 10:56

Based on Labour's 13-year record in power, when most of their housing etc policy feck up were in the first pre crash decade, a dead pig WOULD do a better job than any Labour candidate.

I'll remind people that no one from Eton got his country in the shite, but they are getting us out.

Goldsmith is probably the best Tory candidate, he doesn't have the personality of Boris, but neither does anyone else.

London should LISTEN to all candidates ideas and decide on the do-ability of those ideas, plus the ability to work WITH the government of the day to deliver them - now and after the next general election - rather than look for a class war.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 02/10/2015 11:29

I think he is the best Tory candidate. His policies are not off the wall and he isn't an embarrassment like Boris.

Going to Eton shouldn't guarantee you a role nor should it prevent you from getting one.

Isitmebut · 02/10/2015 11:45

Going to Eton shouldn't guarantee you a role nor should it prevent you from getting one.

I LIKE that a lot.

Only in the UK that statements needs to be made.

In most countries they look to hire bright politicians that could come up with different ideas to face the complex economic/financial/social problems of the 21st century - rather than assume that just because someone was born to a home within a Council estate (as I was) - only THEY know how to both see and solve those problems.

If I knew now, what I knew then and 30-years younger, I'd have a good crack tho. lol

scatterthenuns · 02/10/2015 13:44

Boris is shit at his job. I don't want a 'personality' as my next mayor. I want someone who is going to get shit done and solve the housing crisis.

BeyondYourPeripheralVision · 02/10/2015 13:50

Oh dear - are you against people in "office" being educated? How strange.

Should you choose to remove the chip from your shoulder and get yourself googling (call it an education!), you might be amazed to discover who this man's father was and what he had to say about stemming the tide of inequality almost twenty years ago.

Or, you can keep on bleating about Eton.

Isitmebut · 02/10/2015 14:22

I listened to Mr Goldsmith on the Daily Politics at lunchtime, housing like the other candidates is a key policy of his.

No one could say that he is a Boris type personality, but he appeared very thoughtful and has a plan to unlock land etc TO build in London.

People have to understand Goldsmith has not been a party stooge looking for promotion by bottom-kissing Cameron - and while not a Corbyn who opposed his own party line over 500 times - no one can say that he is not his own man, feels as passionately about some issues as Corbyn, and will stand up for those he represents, TO WESTMINSTER.

GinandJag · 02/10/2015 14:24

He got expelled from Eton, if that gives him any kudos.

Isitmebut · 02/10/2015 14:25

Kinda.

Boredofthinkingofnewnames · 02/10/2015 14:44

Who cares where he went to school if he can do the job.

SilverOldie2 · 02/10/2015 15:39

This is great news - I really like Zac Goldsmith and think he will be an excellent London Mayor. I'm just sorry that I no longer live in London to be able to vote for him.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge · 02/10/2015 15:42

I don't think having gone to Eton should disqualify Goldsmith from being chosen. I do think all parties need to look at broadening their activists and candidates beyond the narrow independent school, Oxbridge, MP's intern/researcher, law or accountancy types they currently choose.

heheheheheheh · 02/10/2015 15:49

It's not as if your average 10 year old bears much responsibility for their parents' choices when it comes to secondary education. Lucky him for going to Eton - I hope he's made the most of the opportunities it's given him.

LumpySpacedPrincess · 02/10/2015 17:25

In most countries they look to hire bright politicians that could come up with different ideas to face the complex economic/financial/social problems of the 21st century - rather than assume that just because someone was born to a home within a Council estate (as I was) - only THEY know how to both see and solve those problems.

God, you're right, our government and the establishment is overrun with people from council estates, best give the kids from private schools a chance poor things. Hmm

AFewGoodWomen · 02/10/2015 23:40

Beyond
What on earth makes you think I need to google Zac Goldsmith's father?
How odd.

OP posts:
Isitmebut · 03/10/2015 10:29

LumpySpacedPrincess ..... the last government had over 500,000 unemployed 16-24 year olds in 2004 pre EU doors opening, over 700,000 before the crash, and passed nearly 1 million on to the coalition in 2010 - many of whom had a rubbish education on the basics from Labour.

Government is NOT 'work experience' courses.

Grazia1984 · 03/10/2015 17:01

He's very good. I have no problems with him except he's not female.

EdithWeston · 03/10/2015 17:06

I'll be interested to see how he comes across in a campaign across London.

Because he's a kind of turquoise candidate, isn't he? Green crossed with blue, and that could be an appealing mix.

Kewcumber · 04/10/2015 22:46

He's my MP - I think he;s a good choice as someone said up thread - he's not a party stooge and will stand for what he believes - partly because he has the money to do so. There are occasions when plenty of money is helpful - you're not particularly concerned about losing your job.

OTheHugeManatee · 05/10/2015 20:21

Bit weird to focus on the social background of the candidate, rather than their policies Hmm

celtictoast · 06/10/2015 20:59

But one of those does happen far more frequently than the other.

celtictoast · 06/10/2015 21:01

Let's not forget that however good old Etonians may be as candidates/politicians/leaders etc. not a single one of them is female. Couldn't we at least broaden the horizons to include as many women of similar quality?

Isitmebut · 06/10/2015 21:17

How about a woman that went to THREE universities, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and London - had extensive experience of how London 'ticked' at both the local and government level - and had an excellent 'social' background as well?

Isitmebut · 06/10/2015 21:24

P.S. Well that was Tessa Jowell who got rejected for someone with a more simple background, why, as only the simple can know the problems of London?

P.P.S. What is the 'similar quality' to old Etonian, female equivalent/template?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.