Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Labour Party councillor

15 replies

HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 14:20

I have just filled in my application form for panel of candidates 2016. I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I would consider applying and I feel the time is right for me to now do so.

Has anyone got any experience of selection panel and the type of questions they are likely to ask?

OP posts:
cdtaylornats · 05/08/2015 16:40

I think they might need a counsellor more.

Good luck though.

HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 16:56

I think if you check your facts you will find a councillor for a political party is spelt councillor and not counsellor.

OP posts:
HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 16:58

Actually this has really annoyed me cd. If you are going to pull people on the correct spelling of words for God sake at least make sure you're right first Confused

OP posts:
12purpleapples · 05/08/2015 16:59

Wasn't it joke?

12purpleapples · 05/08/2015 16:59

Sorry, I'll try again - Wasn't it a joke?

HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 17:11

Ah I see what you mean now purple apples. The comment could have been taken either way. I assumed it was a spelling correction but yes I see now! Unfortunately I didn't start the thread for a political
Party debate just advice on the selection process. Guess the summer holiday stress is making me more tetchy than normal!

OP posts:
squidzin · 05/08/2015 17:53

It looks like intensive psychoanalysis would benefit you more than counselling.

HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 18:00

I'm not sure what you're getting at squid. I never said I was having or giving counselling?

OP posts:
squidzin · 05/08/2015 18:02

British humour is always relevant !

thehumanjam · 05/08/2015 18:07

Why must everyone joke all the time? It's very confusing.

No idea what type of questions they might ask but good luck with it.

Sometimes I don't get British humour and I'm British Confused

HammerToFall · 05/08/2015 18:19

I don't think it is particularly humorous to suggest that someone may benefit from intensive psychoanalysis but hey ho ive had a crappy day.

I was asking a serious question - I'll try on a different thread and see if I get a a more accurate response

OP posts:
BreakWindandFire · 07/08/2015 20:27

One of the questions you should be asked is whether you've properly considered the time commitment. I don't know if you are planning to stand in a safe seat or hopeless one to make up the numbers. How much can you commit to campaigning?

If you plan to be elected, are you in an inner city constituency or a leafy suburban one, as the demands in the first will be greater than the latter (probably).

If your party is in the majority at the time and running the Council do you have any professional expertise (eg housing) that will end up with you being the relevant Cabinet member which is really interesting but involves devoting more time (again).

Good luck!

cdtaylornats · 10/08/2015 14:59

Yes it was a joke about needing some help.

Isitmebut · 10/08/2015 15:36

Just say EVERYTHING was fine pre 1979 without Thatcher and EVERYTHING was doomed after 2010 with Cameroon(?) - and you'll fit in just fine.

A good spread of old (post 1979) ideological slogans and inaccurate soundbites e.g. on the NHS, can even make you an MP, but not apparently the leader - that was recently tried.

gingercat12 · 12/08/2015 21:47

Go to a few meetings in your branch and think about their preferences. Most of the members where I live are over 60-70, so whatever anyone's policies are the candidates always have to prioritise pensioner's interests and views. The last selection meeting I attended was overwhelmingly carried by the pensioner vote. But your branch may be different.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.