Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Vote Swapping - would you consider it?

10 replies

JustCallMeDory · 21/04/2015 22:59

Like lots of other MNers I've moaned about living in a safe seat where it feels as though my vote won't count at all. I've just heard some teenagers discussing voting on a radio programme where they're contemplating joining a vote swapping site. I have to admit, I'm a bit tempted.

Leaving aside the obvious fact you'd never know if the person you agreed to swap with would honour the agreement, it couldn't be classed as electoral fraud, could it? As there's no coercion and no identity fraud, it's a gentleman/woman's agreement. I watch too much West Wing

I realise I sound like a loon. I'm just wondering if anyone else has come across this or if anyone else is thinking about signing up?

OP posts:
cdtaylornats · 22/04/2015 00:16

I would join and offer to swap with an SNP voter Grin

I believe they do this in the commons (called pairing) so they can have an early night carry on with important work.

Akire · 22/04/2015 00:21

I came across a site where labour and greens could swop in marginal areas where it was to stop torries winning. Guess you would have to go on trust

Fanjango · 22/04/2015 00:28

Akire says it all. You have to trust the swapee. Not an easy task. If I thought it would work it would be tempting. I'm in a safe Tory seat and feel so angry my vote is wasted. I want PR so much so I voted Lib Dem last time. What a mistake. I know it matters not, area will always be story but I will never give tacit consent by not voting. Swapping sounds like a good result for those in
Safe seats, what's the bonus for those in the marginals that count?

forago · 22/04/2015 00:36

I'd probabl, consider this as am in a sage seat - how does it work?

fortyfide · 22/04/2015 12:28

How would you prove your swap had not cheated?. Its a secret ballot.

JustCallMeDory · 22/04/2015 20:21

Oh a response! After I posted I went to sleep sure that everyone would think 'loon' and pass right along.

Fanjango - I agree completely. I'd love PR and hate to feel that in this seat my vote means not. a. thing.

I think I'd be willing to swap my vote on trust - after all, it's not going to count anyway, right? I'd definitely swap my vote if it was with an MNer - I've always been amazed how trustworthy people really are and MNers are a special breed Wink

I'm willing to give it a go - anyone else?

I'm in a safe Tory seat, with only the Lib Dems in with any kind of chance of toppling the sitting MP. Would anyone who would like to vote Lib Dem, but is in a seat where they're likely to come in 3rd, like to swap?

If so, PM me with which parties are likely to come 1st and 2nd in your constituency, and if either match up with the party I'd like to vote for... we have a swap!

It's a very long shot - but worth a shot I think!

OP posts:
fortyfide · 23/04/2015 12:27

I think the more interesting question is. Obama is said to have won his first election against the odds and on the Net

No one seems to mention the Internet in our election. Just Lynton Crosby

Why havent our parties talked to the yanks?

Fleecyleesy · 23/04/2015 12:42

Couldn't you just photograph your ballot paper with the X in the appropriate place and text it to your swapping partner to satisfy the trust issue? It'd be time, gps stamped etc.

I do think the current system needs an overhaul. In fact, I'd like to see much less emphasis on parties and more emphasis on supposedly intelligent people discussing each issue on it's own merit rather than having to tow the party line. I'm in a "safe seat area" but the MP has done very very valuable work 250m from my house and I'd re-elect him whatever party he was, solely for his local work. I can't even remember if I voted last time Blush. Was in the middle of house move, small toddler, baby etc.

Tiredemma · 23/04/2015 12:48

Im also in a Tory Safe Seat (one that is frustratingly occupied by 'plebgate' Andrew Mitchell)

I feel my vote is pointless

JustCallMeDory · 23/04/2015 20:42

Fleesyleesy that could work, I think. I can't think there are any expressed rules about photographing your ballot paper?

fortyfide - I think they have been talking to the yanks. There's a lot of social media debate - and I've noticed at last 4 threads on MN lately which I'm sure are party-activist placed.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.