or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Politics

Bereavement Leave

9 replies

lucyherd · 11/05/2012 11:04

Hello,

On August 27 2010, My son Jack, died in a tragic accident at our family home in Cumbria, he was 23 months old.
Nothing could have prepared me for the devastating sense of loss; Jack's death literally tore apart the lives of my family and we continue to grieve for him every day. Just after Jack died, Family and Friends had to return to work and I was left to cope alone as they were only entitled to 3 days bereavement leave.
Having personally experienced the terrible impact of family bereavement, I am now campaigning to help others in a similar situation and need 100,000 signatures of support. My objective is to ensure that sufficient provision is made by employers to allow those affected the time and opportunity they need to make funeral arrangements and to grieve.
Currently the standard policy of employers is to allow 3 days paid bereavement leave, which includes time off for the funeral. Any time taken beyond that must be used as holiday, sick or unpaid leave. In some cases, the consequences of taking additional time off work has led to financial difficulties and even the loss of a job, all at a time when people need support.
I would like the policy on bereavement leave to be revisited with a view to providing more flexibility for anyone suffering a family loss. In some cases the best solution is to return to work quickly to try to maintain a focus at such a difficult time, but for others 3 days paid leave is simply not enough time to come to terms with the situation and be able to return to work and be productive.
Whilst living in Cumbria John Woodcock was my MP, but since moving back to be closer to family in August of last year Dr Philip Lee is now my MP whom I am working closely alongside.
I have set up an epetition on the government website to try and get 100,000 signatures and have a group on Facebook called change Bereavement Leave.

I have ahead of me a long journey but by doing something is helping me make a positive out of my Negative. Everyday I am sad at the loss of my son Jack but he would want me to continue to laugh and smile like I did when he was alive, and somehow I will find my inner strength to learn to LAUGH AND SMILE again without feeling guilty. If I can make a change to just one persons life like Jack and my other children do to me then my campaigning will be worthwhile :-) and Jacks memory wil be kept alive.

OP posts:
carernotasaint · 11/05/2012 17:22

I will take a look and sign it Lucy. Im incredibly sorry for your loss.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme · 11/05/2012 17:48

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme · 11/05/2012 17:50

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

OliviaLMumsnet · 11/05/2012 17:59

Hi there
We have deleted the links to the epetitions as we don't allow them but will leave Lucys OP
Lucy - so sorry to hear about Jack.
Best of luck with it all.

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme · 11/05/2012 18:58

Genuine question, why don't you allow them?

I'm sure I've linked to petitions on here before.

BranchingOut · 11/05/2012 19:03

I just opened your thread and gasped out loud - how devastating for you.

I definitely agree that our society does not allow enough time and space for grieving.

lisaro · 11/05/2012 19:12

I'm sorry for your loss.
All employers give differing amounts of bereavement leave as defined in their contracts. Also, most employers will give extra compassionate leave if necessary ie if you are organising the funeral or it's a child of yours, etc. But you can't force employers to give lots of leave for everyone for every bereavement, there has to be a cut off line. yourself and his father should definitely have got more leave though.

lisaro · 11/05/2012 19:14

I guess, what I'm trying cackhandedly to say is that there does have to be a limit. I worked with someone who buried - in 6 years - 5 parents. The sixth time he tried someone picked up on it and asked for proof.

CardyMow · 12/05/2012 10:16

Lisaro - I have 6 'parents'. Well, I did, but now have 5. My mum, my dad, my SM, my SD, my foster mum and my foster dad - it IS possible, though unlikely. If any of them were to die ( though my dad already has), then I would require some compassionate leave.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.