My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

If you used to vote Lib Dem but switched to the Conservatives this time around - why?

6 replies

IntergalacticHussy · 06/05/2011 10:22

I was listening to radio 4 earlier and apparently quite a lot of people did this. If you're one of them I'm just really curious as to your motivation, really. Must be the A-level Politics student in me!

A few sub questions:

1, What appealed to you about the Lib Dems in previous elections?

2, How do you feel the party has changed since then?

3, What do you feel the Conservatives have to offer that will change our country for the better?

OP posts:
IntergalacticHussy · 06/05/2011 11:32

so, shall i take it no mumsnetters made this particular switch?

makes me wonder who did, exactly...

OP posts:
Chil1234 · 06/05/2011 12:25

I think, from the responses I read here, MN-ers are mostly left-wing in their politics and, if they voted LD previously, would probably tend to go Labour instead of Conservative if they wanted to make a point.

The type of person that would switch from LD to Conservative, I suspect, would be the sort that didn't want to give the Conservatives an outright majority in the General Election,was impressed by Clegg in the leadership debates, have good experience with an LD council & maybe voted slightly tactically on the day. In my own constituency, the sitting Con MP was involved in the expenses scandal. She held onto what should be a safe seat with a very reduced majority because so many voted LD tactically, presumably in an effort to get her out. The council was LD controlled up to yesterday but, if voters have fallen out of love with LDs, they may well lose control to the Cons. I think what the Conservatives have to offer, to a wavering right-of-centre LD voter, is a feeling that 'it does what is says on the tin'. They've pulled a few dodges since the election but they've basically done what you'd expect them to do.

newwave · 06/05/2011 17:34

'it does what is says on the tin'

yes it says DANGER TOXIC POISON

they've basically done what you'd expect them to do.

Very very true

Chil1234 · 06/05/2011 17:52

Alternatively... robust fiscal management, devolving power away from the centre and reforming public bodies.

AnnoyingOrange · 06/05/2011 18:03

I voted libdem in previous council elections, but have been incensed by some very poor decisions and mismanagement by our current libdem council.

So this time I voted conservative. the libdems had their chance and they blew it

newwave · 06/05/2011 18:06

Alternatively...causing mass unemployment, rewarding the rich, punishing the poor, and trying to damage the NHS so big business can gouge the public purse

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.