Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Nazi Nick banned by her Majesty

16 replies

longfingernails · 22/07/2010 16:08

Right decision?

It is clear that he was milking the publicity - and Andrew Brons, the other BNP MEP, still went - but he will get far more publicity, and gets to paint himself a martyr, this way.

And like it or not, he has been elected - so should have all the usual privileges of elected politicians. The Queen has to be above politics.

OP posts:
claig · 22/07/2010 17:20

wrong decision. Agree the Queen should not be getting involved in politics. He is an elected representative, and the other party member has gone, so it is all a bit of a gimmick banning him. Also it has given him lots of extra publicity and he can claim martyrdom with the establishment having it in for him.

It also does look a little like a setup. He can't invite himself onto GMTV, so they invited him on, asked him about the visit, which he answered. Then he is accused of milking the visit for political purposes, with somebody even checking out his website for his pronouncements, and he ends up getting banned on the very day of the GMTV interview.

HecateQueenOfWitches · 22/07/2010 17:22

Either the party is legal or it isn't. I would like nothing more than to have the bnp declared illegal, but they aren't. So they cannot legally be treated any differently from any other party.

PosieParker · 22/07/2010 17:23

Yes.....brilliant, I love the Queen.

Her Majesty doesn't get involved in politics but she will not be used by politicians either.

PosieParker · 22/07/2010 17:25

I've never heard any other politicians ever mention an invite.

TheCoalitionNeedsYou · 22/07/2010 22:55

Her party she can invite who she likes.

Chil1234 · 23/07/2010 09:30

It shouldn't have got as far as an invitation. It wasn't a political event but to reward people who've done worthwhile things in their communities - so don't know why he had a ticket in the first place. Given that there was another BNP MEP or councillor there, Buck House should probably review its guest-list policy..

RiverOfSleep · 23/07/2010 09:35

I think Her Majesty should invite either all the boy MPs, all the girl MPs, all the MPs, or less than half. Otherwise they will all be talking about it in the commons and those that haven't got party bags will feel left out.

As for inviting the troublesome boy out of the class, she should have asked his mum/dad to come as a helper so they could take him straight home if he started spouting racist crap misbehaving.

Deliaskis · 23/07/2010 15:50

LOL at RiverOfSleep's post.

IMO, the mistake was issuing the invitation in the first place. This whole inviting then uninviting looks like a bit of a snafu and doesn't show the palace guest list management as very on the ball.

If he had just not been invited at all, this wouldn't have happened. I don't think that any elected officials (or anybody at all for that matter) have a 'right' to be invited TBH, so I don't think the 'all parties should be treated equally' argument really applies here, he has not been denied a 'right' that other parties or politicians have.

D

WidowWadman · 24/07/2010 07:35

Chi1234 - every MEP was invited.

Chil1234 · 24/07/2010 10:01

If every MEP was invited then they didn't think that one through...

Vermdum · 24/07/2010 23:49

Of Course the man should be allowed to attend- Just as i should be allowed to wear a gimp costume to my local supermarket, but I wouldnt suggest either as a good idea for the same reasons.

Chil1234 · 25/07/2010 07:52

Now Nick Griffin in a gimp costume?... Or would that gilding the lily?

SomeGuy · 26/07/2010 16:55

So is Andrew Brons still going to be allowed to attend?

WidowWadman · 26/07/2010 20:25

He was. The party was last week anyway.

SomeGuy · 26/07/2010 23:43

I'm sure the Queen was charmed.

Vermdum · 06/08/2010 11:10

Anyone remember that marmite advert that took the piss out of 'The Hate Party'?

This can only go badly for poor little Nicky,however much he cries about it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.