Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

stomach bug in a kitten???

iliketosleep · 14/10/2007 13:28

I have a 12 weeks old kitten that is very happy and playful but has been sick 3 times today. Can cats get stomach bugs??

OP's posts:
Please
or

StaryNightSky · 14/10/2007 13:47

Hi Iliketosleep

Cats can get stomach bugs just the same as people.

First thing, Stop feeding you kitten. For atleast the rest of the day to let his stomach calm down. This will not do him anyharm. will be worse on you I promise!!! Make sure he/ she has lots of fresh water avaliable, as he will get dehydrated pretty quick with being so sick.

what are you feeding him on? Has he been wormed yet?

Have you change his food suddenly to a different brand or a new flavour?

I'll be on and off MN all day but I will keep chacking back to see If I can help.

Just so you know, My dad used to run a pet food company for animals with stomach problems. And I have hand reared several litters of cats, dogs, foxes, etc.

Please
or

iliketosleep · 14/10/2007 13:50

ill do that and let you know how he gets on, thanks xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

StaryNightSky · 14/10/2007 16:43

Its very important not to feed him for atleast 12 hours.

I would suggest not untill tommorow morning.

The other thing is that you need to start him back on something very mild like chicken. The kind that you would eat not from a tin!

But it is very important to make sure he is eating a diet suitable to his age. For example, cats are lactose introlerant so NO Cows milk. It will make then ill.

Also given his age, keep a very close eye on him and I would suggest a trip to the vets if his tummy is bloated, he seems lathagic, or his gums are not a healthy pink. There are things that can make him poorly. Also dehydration can be very pronouced in something so small and this can cause shock.

Its hard to help over the web. But hopefully he will feel much better and just had something that didn't agree with him.

Please
or

PeachyFleshCrawlingWithBugs · 14/10/2007 16:46

Agree when you start feding again, go for voiled chicken or fish. Have the cat checked- it could be worm related (you haven't wormed him lately have you? taht often causes this in itself) and do consider a trip to the vets, as our eldest cat (we rescue abused cats) turned out to have a stomach blockage requiring surgery.

Sometimes if they go out it can be a sign they've picked u something rubbishy to eat, and that passes. Equally we lost a beautiful cat to rat poison someone had laid, and that started out the same way.

Please
or

oops · 14/10/2007 16:53

Message withdrawn

Please
or

lucyellensmum · 14/10/2007 17:08

i was about to post, not to starve the kitten, but oops beat me to it.

Interestingly they say you shoudlnt stop feeding children when they have tummy bugs and feed them if they want to eat. Seems to make sense, just limit the dairy products.

But yes, milk is bad for cats.

Please
or

oops · 14/10/2007 17:10

Message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.