My feed

to access all these features

Pedants' corner

on estate agent site "well sort after area"

24 replies

Oliveoil · 19/03/2008 12:56

now this is wrong isn't it, it is not just me?

OP posts:
hoxtonchick · 19/03/2008 12:57

maybe that's how it's spelt in australia.... NOT.

ratbunny · 19/03/2008 12:57


SenoraPostrophe · 19/03/2008 13:01


It must be hard for estate agents though. they're too busy doing all that useful work to check a dictionary.

UnquietDad · 19/03/2008 13:03


Sort after (sic) by people for whom nearby golf links and a double garage are more important than spelling.

They know their market.

Iota · 19/03/2008 13:03

our local agents are advertising a house next to a bridalway - must be en route to the church or something

MrsBadger · 19/03/2008 13:05

I want to know how the gardens are 'reticulated'...

Oliveoil · 19/03/2008 13:05

I think it means they have a sprinkler system

I am learning all these new terms!

OP posts:
MrsBadger · 19/03/2008 13:06


scampadoodle · 19/03/2008 13:07

There should be a separate topic for Estate Agency Howlers. I started a thread last week about "pier de terre".

Oliveoil · 19/03/2008 13:08

some of them have 'gardens' and you can see all the dry bit round the square bits of tuff that have died in the hot sun

do not bother with grass then if it is 45% fgs

get some flags down

OP posts:
Iota · 19/03/2008 13:09

LOL at pier de terre - not a seaside pier then, but an earthbound one

JackieNo · 19/03/2008 13:09

I like 'rumpus room' - v American. But apt, I suspect, in many cases - more rumpus than playing going on.

BarcodeZebra · 19/03/2008 20:07

Whenever I see a house advertised in a sought after area it makes me think that it must be terribly hard to find.

PaulaYatesBiggestFan · 19/03/2008 20:09

we have a 'rumpus room'

PaulaYatesBiggestFan · 19/03/2008 20:09

we have a 'rumpus room'

DarrellRivers · 19/03/2008 20:09

reticuated garden
and a rumpus room
please illuminate me further

Earthymama · 19/03/2008 20:10

Our local letting agent has signs saying 'FOR LET'! Surely that's so wrong?
I've been wandering around muttering about it, so glad I saw PC to vent my ire!!

LynetteScavo · 19/03/2008 20:13

That house has a rumpus room! WHAT??? I want one!

DarrellRivers · 19/03/2008 20:14

PYBF, what do you do in your rumpurs room?
[mindboggles if you admire paulayates]

Oliveoil · 19/03/2008 20:16

I think a rumpus room is a den, or kids room

have no idea

their houses are mahooosive (and mainly ugly)

OP posts:
Bluestocking · 19/03/2008 20:17

I once saw a sign advertising office space in "specious new premises". Admittedly it was in India but even so, they could have checked a dictionary.

PaulaYatesBiggestFan · 19/03/2008 20:19

it is in the basement

the children wreak havoc in their much to the delight of their father

as that type of behaviour is not to my taste I am able to ignore it as i can neither see nor hear it !

QuintessentiallyAnEmptyCave · 19/03/2008 20:22

OMG!! That is my friends house!

RustyBear · 19/03/2008 20:26

It actually says 'reticuated' I assume they do mean 'reticulated' - which means forming a network or diamond pattern, which I'd guess refers to the paving (unless it means a network of sprinklers)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.