My feed

to access all these features

Pedants' corner

stirfrys or stir-fries?

2 replies

Inertia · 15/02/2011 09:56

The packaging on Sharwood's noodles refers to stirfrys. Is that correct, or should it be stir-fries? Or something else?

OP posts:
prism · 15/02/2011 10:48

It should really be stirfries, as there's a rule that words ending in Y should end in "ies" unless there's a vowel before the y ("days" etc). However in this case we have the Americans to thank for the fact that "fries" means something completely different from the plural of "fry" (not that "fry" is really a noun anyway, of course), so when you observe the rule it start to look like something else, and there's definitely a case to be made for "stirfrys". I'm sure they don't want their customers thinking they've started making chips.

If I had the job of writing Sharwood's labels (I could really fancy doing that actually-plum job or what?), I would opt for "stirfrys".

MardyBra · 15/02/2011 11:56

What do we think about the hyphen?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.