Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gay son

Sim1903 · 13/08/2022 21:15

My son thinks he’s gay. He said that he does not find women attractive. He’s never been with a boy before. My husband doesn’t want him to be gay. I don’t know what to do, how does he know he is?
please help anyone. I’m not sure how to handle this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

mosex · 13/08/2022 21:16

There is nothing to do. Support him, he's not going to change into a straight person. If you don't support him you lose him. Who cares who he fancies anyway?

Please
or

vroom321 · 13/08/2022 21:16

I guess he waits until he's attracted/ wants a relationship with a man or woman or either and then he will find out?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 13/08/2022 21:17

Just say its OK and you support him. Does it matter if he fancies boys instead of girls?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 13/08/2022 21:18

P.s.what age is he?

Please
or

Ohdearnotagain76 · 13/08/2022 21:18

Is your son a adult or child?
either way support, listen and love him for all his is. His sexuality shouldn’t make a difference as long as he’s happy

Please
or

Whadda · 13/08/2022 21:19

how does he know he is?

How did you know you were straight?

Please
or

RaininSummer · 13/08/2022 21:20

He will hopefully be able to love whoever he wants and it's none of his dad's business. Your husband will drive your son away though if he voices this nonsense aloud.

Please
or

waltty · 13/08/2022 21:21

I love my children unconditionally regardless of their sexuality , I feel sorry for you to have an husband who 'does not want his child to be gay'

Please
or

JaninaDuszejko · 13/08/2022 21:22

Is it 1992? How old are you and your son? Your DH doesn't have a say in your DSs sex life. Tell your DH to enter the 21st century and your DS that as long as the person he loves is good to him you don't care what's between their legs.

Please
or

Motnight · 13/08/2022 21:23

You support your son.

Please
or

lunar1 · 13/08/2022 21:23

Your husband doesn't get a vote. He gets the son he has.

You just support him, that's all there is to do. He'll figure out the rest on his own.

Please
or

A580Hojas · 13/08/2022 21:25

I feel so sad that this is even an issue. It's almost unbelievable.

Please
or

User639921 · 13/08/2022 21:25

My DS is gay, he has never had any interest in girls but he was very good friends with them at school and we used to have loads of girls come round the house but he said when he was about 16 that he just wasn't attracted to girls. We don't see him as any different though.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 13/08/2022 21:25

You're in Parents of Adult Children so am assume he's an adult. What you do is stop referring to it as 'thinking' he's gay. He's told you he's gay. You say 'great' and act exactly as you would if he was straight. Judge his partners on how they treat him, not their sex.

And tell your DH to bugger off, ignorant wanker.

Please
or

MintJulia · 13/08/2022 21:33

Just tell him you'll love him regardless, and that you just want him to be happy. And leave him to set the pace.

As for your dh, give him time. he'll get over the shock.

Please
or

InTheFridge · 13/08/2022 21:34

I'd leave my DP if my son said he was gay and he reacted like that.

Yes, my son is gay.

Please
or

knickersniff · 13/08/2022 21:38

You don't need to handle anything. Acceptance is the way forward

Please
or

Beamur · 13/08/2022 21:39

Take a breath and think.
Whatever you say won't make your son less gay but it might make his life a bit harder.
He's still the same person you love but his life and choices are his to make.

Please
or

CuriousCatfish · 13/08/2022 21:43

There's nothing to handle apart from your bigoted husband.

Your son is still the same person he always was.

Please
or

Riverlee · 13/08/2022 22:06

Your son is still the same person he was yesterday. However, if it’s never crossed your mind that he could be gay, then I can see how it can be a bit of a shock.

You handle it by carrying on as normal. Maybe thank him for telling you - probably took a lot of courage- and say you’re always there if he want to chat more.

Why doesn’t your husband want him to be gay? Is it because gay men generally have a tougher route through life? Does he feel ds is going to change, become all camp, start going to Pride parades etc, and not be the son he knows? Is it fear of the unknown, or is he homophobic? It may just take him time to adjust to the news.

Please
or

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 · 13/08/2022 22:06

I have two adult sons who are gay. One has been with his partner for several years and he is now a big part of our family too. I am very proud of them all.

You and your husband accept that he is gay and support him or you will push him away.

Please
or

Eightiesfan · 13/08/2022 22:13

You need to sort out DH. Whether he wants him to be gay or not is irrelevant, and his reaction could easily put an end to his relationship with his son.

About 6 years ago the son of one of my friends told his family he was gay. Our friendship group all suspected but she always threw a huge hissy fit whenever anyone mentioned it. She was massively homophobic and when he came out to the family she said some awful things to him.

It look a few years for them to get their relationship back to normal, but some of the things she said to him were unforgivable and she knows it.

Please
or

gogohmm · 13/08/2022 22:18

Is this 1980? A wind up? Everyone knows you can't choose your sexuality by now surely.

Please
or

ivebeencalledworse · 13/08/2022 22:39

He's knows he's gay because he's male and fancies other males.

Your husband is the problem. Is he going to get violent or hostile with your son? This is a problem. Is your son in danger?

Please
or

PersonaNonGarter · 13/08/2022 22:42

Just try to be a good mum, even if your husband is not a good dad.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?