Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

why does he always like playing guns?

5 replies

crazydays · 19/05/2003 21:09

This is a common discussion in our household, we have 3 boys, our oldest 4.5 then 2 and an 8 month old. our eldest has always been captured by anything that resembles a gun this can range from a water pistol to a slice of bread hes nibbled into the shape of a pistol!!! arrrhhhh. as you can tell this gets right under my skin we dont promote this kind of play but he is fond of "boy things" i guess action man, policeman sets etc etc he would prefer to build a gun from lego than anything else, my biggest concern is that since baba was born the other 2 have been mixing more and guess what i know have starskey and hutch!! but hes only 2, my son knows how much it grates me and to be fair dosnt seem to do it to aggravate me he just loves it he livens up almost, my husband does agree that we must monitor the situation but confesses that he did have play guns as a child and he isnt the slightest bit interested know. i cringe at times when he uses the play inappropriatley.

OP posts:
Please
or

Oakmaiden · 20/05/2003 12:52

No advice, i'm afraid. My son loves guns too, and it makes me cringe when he talks about "killing" people. But I can't think of a thing to do about it, really. So he gets to play with his pretend guns (most often a stick shaped like a gun), but we have a rule that you must NEVER point it at someone and pretend to shoot them, and that it is not nice to even pretend to hurt someone. But if he wants to run around with his stick, and make gun noises then that I will (reluctantly) put up with.

Please
or

Hilary · 21/05/2003 21:23

I have two boys who love playing guns and talking about fighting and killing. I don't feel comfortable with it but someone said to me the other week that banning boys from playing guns is like trying to ban girls from playing with dolls. It just wouldn't work, would it? I try to let them get on with it as I figure that if I try to ban it, it'll all just become more tempting.

Please
or

aloha · 21/05/2003 22:14

Isn't it just play though? I don't particularly like the idea of my ds playing at shooting (& would rather buy him a doll than a gun, for sure), but they really don't understand it like we do. Little children don't understand death or anything. I think you can ban guns but not bread!! I suspect that ignoring it is best policy for sanity and happiness. If they are loving and kind with real people/animals/toys then that's all that really matters, surely?

Please
or

whymummy · 22/05/2003 15:36

my ds(5) loves playing with guns as well,he doesnt like action man but has hundreds of medieval soldiers and army soldiers,he loves dressing up as a soldier as well and i told him hes a peace keeper and you dont kill people just make sure no one fights he liked that and now he doesnt play shooting as much

Please
or

spacemonkey · 22/05/2003 15:40

My ds is the same and has been since he was very small - I'm afraid it's just the testosterone!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?