Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Car Seat Help

3 replies

MrsTurner3 · 26/01/2023 00:28

Hello 👋🏻

Currently deciding on car seat options as Ive just found out I'm pregnant with #2.

@teaandlotusbiscoff
@bertiebotts

Not sure if you are both still on here but if you are 🤞🏼 and anyone else who knows their car seats - help and advice needed!

DS1 had a Joie i-Gemm Group 0+ i-Size as a newborn and because he was a lockdown baby, apart from the journey home from hospital it hardly got used. The added bonus of having a car seat that clipped onto the pram or could be carried, heaved/dragged around didn't turn out to be useful for us as he was never wheeled round in the car seat. I was happy to transfer him to his pram or put him in the sling when getting out of the car.

We thought we were one and done so sold it and bought a Joie Baby i-Spin 360 i-Size instead. We absolutely love this seat and it's served us well.

Then we decided to try for #2 and DC2 is due in September. We were hoping that because DS1 will be 3.5 and he's tall, that he'd be ready for a high back by the time DC2 arrives and DC2 could go in the Spin from birth to save us a bit of money. But I've been reading some stories and reviews about how apparently the Joie Baby i-Spin 360 i-Size isn't as safe as the Spin Safe models because it's not swedish tested as it has the option to FF. My query is, if it's always kept rear facing, is it at the same safety level as the Spin Safe models or do I need to buy new seats for both of them to keep up with top safety? 🥴

Also any suggestions on the best high backs for DS1 when the time comes would be appreciated. I don't have the same amount of spare time to devote to research as I once did 🤣

Thanks all. Take care x

OP posts:
Please
or

Hatscats · 26/01/2023 02:19

I believe the ispin and spin safe both tested about the same by ADAC, if using rear facing then would be very similar anyway. The normal non isize 360 tests worse than the isize though. Check out ADAC.
Also most car seat groups say 4.5 minimum for a high backed booster, and the joie seats don’t work well for newborns - more like 3-4 months before they are tall enough for them.

Please
or

MrsTurner3 · 26/01/2023 10:04

Hatscats · 26/01/2023 02:19

I believe the ispin and spin safe both tested about the same by ADAC, if using rear facing then would be very similar anyway. The normal non isize 360 tests worse than the isize though. Check out ADAC.
Also most car seat groups say 4.5 minimum for a high backed booster, and the joie seats don’t work well for newborns - more like 3-4 months before they are tall enough for them.

Thanks so much for your reply! DS1 will very likely have exceeded the max weight and height for his Joie spin before he is 4.5 and it says suitable from birth which is why we thought to put DC2 in there and move him to a high back - do you know what the alternative next step is before we get him a high back?

OP posts:
Please
or

Hatscats · Today 03:46

We’ve got an axkid minikid which is rear facing to 25kg and Swedish plus tested.
The Britax maxway plus is also 25kg and very popular and cheaper. Both of these have loads more legroom than the joie 360 we’ve got in grandparents car.
I’d get an infant carrier for baby, maxi cosi cabriofix isize is cheap and decent - then once that’s outgrown into the joie, once oldest is 5/6 move them into high backed booster and youngest one into the new 25kg seat.
have a look on the axkid website for independent car seat retailers near you - will give better advice than Halfords and the like.

Please
or