Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Do you keep toys in the living room?

38 replies

Sunsetred · 25/01/2023 22:21

Just looking to see how others manage toys and playing in the house. I would prefer for all the toys to be kept in the bedrooms. I don't mind if they want to bring toys down to play and then take them back up to bedrooms at the end of the day. Is that mean - should I allow some toys to be kept in the living room? I just can stand how messy it looks with toys everywhere. I'm trying to encourage them to play in rooms but every day the living room is full of toys and my DH thinks we should just leave some in a corner but it just looks so messy.

OP posts:
Please
or

SheWoreYellow · 25/01/2023 22:23

How about better toy storage? It would be easier than carting them up and down.

Please
or

Dalooah · 25/01/2023 22:24

Yes

Please
or

Noonoo12344 · 25/01/2023 22:26

How old are they?

I have a 2 & 5 year old and unfortunately a load of their toys are in the living room. I've got a big white toy box (but looks like nice furniture) and those colourful shelf things full of toys. Bloody dolls everywhere. Doll prams in the corner of the room.
Ours is a bit of a tip.

Would love to stick it all in their bedrooms really but they enjoy playing downstairs and they end up bringing it all down anyway.

I have a friend who absolutely hates mess and she dedicated one corner to toys and it actually looks really nice.

Please
or

AnneLovesGilbert · 25/01/2023 22:26

Yes. Play kitchen in a corner and a toy chest at the other end of the room. When the toy chest is full we have a clear out and some stuff goes upstairs to her room or in the attic or gets given away.

We spend most of our time in the main living space so that’s what works for us. She plays in her room in the mornings and has stuff in boxes under her bed.

Please
or

justasking111 · 25/01/2023 22:26

Used to keep them in the dining room which was rarely used. With grandchildren they were in the conservatory, now they're in the downstairs spare bedroom. Big and small plastic boxes so they choose what to bring out then we can chuck them back in and put back. I never managed the knack of getting younger children to play upstairs until they were much older

Please
or

NannyR · 25/01/2023 22:28

I think that in a family home, the living room is for the use of all the family, including the children, so they should be able to play there and keep toys and books there. I would just embrace the mess for a few years or get some decent storage sorted out.

Please
or

Longwhiskers · 25/01/2023 22:29

If I kept toys just in the bedrooms ours prob wouldn’t have played with them! They want to be where we are so I’ve always had toys all over the place. You can buy really nice storage, I got something lovely to keep all the play food in from Zara Home kids bit online.

Please
or

TheUsualChaos · 25/01/2023 22:29

Nearly all the toys are downstairs, if they were upstairs then they wouldn't get played with. They rarely want to play in their bedrooms, they want to be downstairs where we are all together. Toys all get tidied away into cupboards and baskets a few times a week. IKEA is your friend!

Please
or

Lavender2021 · 25/01/2023 22:31

My 2 year old would mess around too much if toy's in bedroom at bedtime and just given over the the fact our house is full of toys for a short while. We have open shelves with clear boxes so she can see what is on them - it definitely helps her pick what to play. We also have ikea storage unit with the boxes that fit for bigger toys/ train tracks/ books (not in the boxes).

We play more downstairs than up and bringing everything down everyday would be a pain or her wanting to go upstairs to find something else ever 5 minutes would be a nightmare!

Please
or

Allmyarseandpeggymartin · 25/01/2023 22:31

Yes of course it’s DS’s home too.

Trick is some storage that blends into the living room we’ve got one of these

Do you keep toys in the living room?
Please
or

Abasnada · 25/01/2023 22:33

Not permanently, we liked to have one ‘nice’ room to bring guests into that was clear of toys and also clear of toys at night….so toys always had a home elsewhere but would often get left out anyway.

Please
or

Apollonia1 · 25/01/2023 22:33

My toddlers have almost no toys upstairs (just books for night time reading).
All day, they want to be downstairs with people, so all their toys are there. I do have a playroom downstairs to keep all their toys, but a few large ones are making their way into the living room.

Please
or

gwenneh · 25/01/2023 22:34

Yes, we do.

They get put away at the end of the day, and they aren't visible.

Please
or

NuffSaidSam · 25/01/2023 22:35

It depends on how old they are? Little children, yes. Older children, no.

Please
or

Oopswediditagain2023 · 25/01/2023 22:36

Yes but only a few things and then we swap them round every now and again. We used to have the living room filled to the brim with things but they got overwhelmed in all honesty and the chaos was making them quite badly behaved imho. Now we have a dedicated toy corner.

Please
or

Abouttimemum · 25/01/2023 22:38

We’ve got a full wall IKEA storage in the dining room (which doubles as a desk and other general storage for coats / shoes etc) but that’s where our toys go at the end of the day. There aren’t any toys in his bedroom as I want him to go to sleep 😂 (he’s 3) He also has a toy tool bench and dolls house in the dining room. The living room is full of toys most of the time but it gets put away on an evening.

Please
or

Jxtina86 · 25/01/2023 22:39

Most toys are in the living room - we have one the ikea units with the drawers (from the kids section) and a big hamper style toy box. There's a castle and paw patrol tower that stand alone but all in one corner. Our living room is tiny so yes I am counting down the days that the bigger stuff can go elsewhere!

DD is 3 and only in the last 6 months have we put some toys in her room - it does mean she'll go off and play upstairs sometimes but she's sensible enough (for a 3 year old!) and she's never got out of bed to play after lights out. When she moves into the bigger room later this year more toys will go upstairs to her room as there will be more space for them then.

Please
or

pompei8309 · 25/01/2023 22:40

Sunsetred · 25/01/2023 22:21

Just looking to see how others manage toys and playing in the house. I would prefer for all the toys to be kept in the bedrooms. I don't mind if they want to bring toys down to play and then take them back up to bedrooms at the end of the day. Is that mean - should I allow some toys to be kept in the living room? I just can stand how messy it looks with toys everywhere. I'm trying to encourage them to play in rooms but every day the living room is full of toys and my DH thinks we should just leave some in a corner but it just looks so messy.

Always in the living room, if mine would have had toys in the bedroom she’d never go to sleep 😂 only books in the bedroom, everything else downstairs.

Please
or

FatAgainItsLettuceTime · 25/01/2023 22:40

I have a couple of the fabric storage boxes, toys bought down to the living room have to fit in there, once they're full they go back upstairs to be emptied and the cycle starts again. It means there's always some toys that are being actively played with downstairs but they don't take over.

Please
or

Finchgold · 25/01/2023 22:42

Yes, we have baskets of toys on the bottom shelf of the bookcase and some kids books. Other toys are brought in the put back to DC bedroom at the end of the day.

Please
or

LifeInAHamsterWheel · 25/01/2023 22:43

It depends on their age. I wouldn't have been happy leaving my kids playing in their bedrooms unattended until they were about 6 so toys were kept downstairs - I wasn't arsed with packing them up and bringing them back up to their rooms every day! Our house is quite small so no playroom etc downstairs. We just had storage in the living room and tidied it all away at night.

Please
or

LadyJ2023 · 25/01/2023 22:45

Absolutely they have 2 toy baskets downstairs and one in each of there rooms. Once 5pm comes the toys downstairs get put away and the living room adult zone and the children go play upstairs tull bedtimes

Please
or

Exdpisatwat · 25/01/2023 22:46

No, but the buggers seem to migrate in here every day 🤣

Mine are 6 and 8 and we live in a small flat so space is at a premium. When they were younger we had a toy kitchen, small table and chairs and a few toy boxes. Now I just want one room that isn't full of plastic crap so I have a 'one in, one out' rule for toys in the living room (that gets flouted on a regular basis).

Please
or

Girliefriendlikespuppies · 25/01/2023 22:49

My dd is a teen now but when she was younger yes definitely had toys in the living room and i wanted her to play downstairs. It would have felt really sad if she had to spend all her time playing in her bedroom. My dd loved playmobil and would spend hours playing on the living room floor, she would have complicated stories being played out and would have set ups that lasted a week or so before I told her to put them away so I could hoover.

Please
or

Sunsetred · 25/01/2023 22:52

Thanks for all the replies! The consensus definitely is toys in the living room in nice looking storage. I really like the idea of having toys from bedroom to living room on rotation so not everything downstairs at once. I have the toys nicely organised and put away in the bedrooms so there's not too many toys in plain sight to distract at bedtime. I shall do the same with the toys in the living room and will be making a trip to IKEA. It's a relief to know everyone else is living the same way!

OP posts:
Please
or