Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Infant goat milk

14 replies

SassyPants87 · 25/01/2023 19:54

Has anyone tried infant goat milk for their little ones? If so how did they get on with it?

we’ve had a multitude of feeding problems but essentially most of them have arisen after I stopped BF (I’m vegan so no dairy in diet) and then moving onto dairy formula.

I’ve heard goats milk is more easily digestible so just looking to see if anyone has experienced this before I consider trying it

TIA x

OP posts:
Please
or

Cuwins · 25/01/2023 20:04

No but if you think that baby may have a problem with dairy then it's unlikely to be the answer as the proteins are very similar. My DD has CMPA and apparently goats milk would likely cause the same reaction as cows milk with CMPA.

Please
or

SassyPants87 · 25/01/2023 20:18

@Cuwins I’m not sure it’s CMPA, it could very well be. But it might also be because he’s gone from one extreme to the other and maybe I need to find a ‘transitional’ milk that is a bit more easily digestible. I guess if then he’s still not great on the goats milk then it could be CMPA and we’d have to go down prescription formula

i’ve only just got him to accept bottles and formula but had to tried loads of formulas for the nicest tasting one. I’m worried if we go down prescription formula they don’t taste great and he’ll just reject them

OP posts:
Please
or

paulinesmithson · 25/01/2023 21:06

I had goat milk when i was a baby and i'm still alive

Please
or

SassyPants87 · 25/01/2023 21:35

@paulinesmithson haha that’s good to know! 😄

OP posts:
Please
or

RancidOldHag · 25/01/2023 21:40

There was a goat based formula around when my DC were small, and I used it for the odd bottle (or back up supply when I left them in case the expressed got dropped or whatever). It wasn't recommended as a main drink (and I think that's why it vanished from the shelves for a while). Brand name was Nanny

But yes, goat's milk is meant to be more digestible. How old is your baby? Old enough to be moving away from formula? You could also try sheep milk.

And you can usually find both goat and sheep cheese and yoghurt if you really want to keep cows out of it

Please
or

RancidOldHag · 25/01/2023 21:43

I'm not sure if this is the same brand I used, but it looks as if follow-on formula is available.

www.nannycare.co.uk/

Please
or

SassyPants87 · 25/01/2023 22:11

@RancidOldHag yes apparently goats milk is fine to use as main drink now they must of changed the formula as it’s back on shelf and from infant stage. DS is 3 months old

I’ve seen the Nannycare one and Kendamil also do one too

OP posts:
Please
or

Dramalam · 26/01/2023 11:13

We used Kendamil Goat milk and it massively helped our baby's colic. Only downsides were the price and the bouts of unavailability!

Please
or

stopbeeping · 26/01/2023 11:25

Raised my first on goat formula and then goat milk
He is so healthy
Healthiest of all three kids and he was born premature and sick
I used nanny care

Please
or

SassyPants87 · 26/01/2023 11:40

@Dramalam yes I did initially want to use Kendamil but they are always out of stock!

@stopbeeping thanks for that helpful insight! The more I’m looking into it the more I think it’s the best thing to put DS on

OP posts:
Please
or

BouncingWorms · 26/01/2023 14:01

I weaned mine onto regular goat milk around nine months and she was fine, also because I’d read it’s more easily digested than cow milk. Dc don’t have cmpa but I do so trying to be cautious. (Obviously you do need formula variety for a proper baby)

I think My main worry would be supply issues, especially if she’s not yet weaning. I don’t know if sticking to cow formula would be better than switching between them because of shortages.

Please
or

stopbeeping · 26/01/2023 16:01

I used to order ten tubs at a time from dolphin fitness it was the best price

Please
or

PritiPatelsMaker · Yesterday 07:45

Goats milk isn't recommended for babies with CMPA or suspected CMPA. You need to try a hydrolysed formula.

Please
or

Madcats · Yesterday 08:11

I switched after DD(15) picked up norovirus when she was about 14/15 months. We happened to be at the GP a week or two later for something and he suggested it.

The milk has smaller fat molecules, apparently. It wasn't cheap then, but she wasn't drinking a huge amount at her age. I/she then switched to regular ss goats milk and much prefer it to cows milk (it isn't as sweet), but DH isn't a fan.

Please
or