Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Milk allergy

2 replies

Emmamc93 · 25/01/2023 15:22

Hi i was told recently I should cut lactose and cows milk protein out of my sons diet, he’s 7 months old which formula would be best for this

OP posts:
Please
or

menareallthesame · 25/01/2023 16:10

Were you not prescribed anything? We used neocate active which is 100% milk free. The others (at the time - my daughter is nearly 14!( such as nutramogen are not completely milk free.

Please
or

Sucessinthenewyear · 25/01/2023 18:08

Lactose in the sugar in the milk. It’s present in all mammal milk and it’s incredible rare for a baby to have lactose intolerance. Lactose intolerance in children tends to be genetic and it caused by the lack the enzyme needed to digest lactose.

Cow’s milk protein allergy is caused when the immune system sees the protein in cows milk as a threat. It’s fairly common in children. Children with cmpa are often also allergic to goats and sheep milk and 50% of them are also allergic to soya because the protein is very similar.

Dairy free formula milk is a prescription product and needs to prescribed by GP or paediatrician. Sometimes it’s prescribed by GP on the instructions of a paediatric dietitian. You can sometimes buy the formula privately but it’s around £50 a tin.

Who has said your baby has cmpa and lactose intolerance?

Please
or