Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Sling outfits

20 replies

Pinktruffle · 25/01/2023 10:05

I'm hoping to start taking my 3 month old out for walks in the sling. What should he be dressed in for the sling in this kind of weather? It's about 5 degrees where I live. I've read they aren't meant to wear coats but it's very cold and I'm a bit confused

OP posts:
Please
or

TeddyBeans · 25/01/2023 10:08

They get a lot of their warmth from you in the sling, I'd probably put him in a fleecy/thick babygrow with a hat and make sure you zip your coat up over him so his legs don't get cold 😊

Please
or

2023CameAfter2022 · 25/01/2023 10:09

Can you put your sling under your coat?

Please
or

Pinktruffle · 25/01/2023 10:27

I'm not sure he will fit under my coat, I'll give it a go though. If not I could borrow a zip up fleece of DH's. Would a a regular babygrow with a cardigan on the baby and then my coat over the top be ok?

OP posts:
Please
or

TeddyBeans · 25/01/2023 10:39

I've seen a panel you can buy to fit regular coats, think it's called zipusin if your coat doesn't fit. The fleece should be okay but keep an eye to make sure he's warm enough. I'd probably go for a vest and trousers then babygrow instead of a cardi, they can be quite thick and you don't want him overheating

Please
or

Pinktruffle · 25/01/2023 10:50

Thank you @TeddyBeans , I'll take a look and see if I cam find the panel.

OP posts:
Please
or

TeddyBeans · 25/01/2023 11:08

I found this website for you too 😊

wearmybaby.co.uk/babywearing-in-cold-weather/

Please
or

itsabigtree · 25/01/2023 11:09

My baby goes in the carrier or sling in warm clothes and a star and crumble blanket over the top. Or a coat, or if windy, a full snow suit... it's not a big deal.
Make sure you put booties on them if feet will be exposed.

Please
or

TheRookieMum · 25/01/2023 11:17

I've been wondering about this too! I messaged my local sling library for advice, still waiting for a reply though...

The reason against pram suits is because the legs need to be very wide when in the sling & pram suits don't allow that.

I've taken my boy out in near 0c (and in falling snow, but not deliberately!) in a long sleeved vest, babygrow, warm socks and a star shaped fleece. Then wrap his legs in my warm jacket because that's all that fits round him, and pop on a hat. He does well, sleeps comfortably and seems happy enough, though he does run warm so maybe an extra layer if yours runs cold normally.

Borrowing DH's coat/fleece is a great idea. I will be doing that next!!

Please
or

TheRookie · 25/01/2023 11:28

I wore my young baby all last winter. He was usually in his normal outfit whatever that was, and then had a lightweight zip up fleece and a hat on, if it was very cold I'd put a pair of my daughter's fluffy socks on to keep his legs warm. You'll soon get to know what works best for you. As long as they're not in a massive snow suit as it's not good for positioning. I regularly checked babies back and neck to make sure they weren't too hot.

I also had a clip that held my coat together so that I didn't get cold. I always had a cold neck that was the only annoying thing as couldn't wear a scarf.

[Link]www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1008724006/coat-extender-jacket-clip-baby-wearing?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_e-accessories-baby_accessories-baby_carriers_and_wraps&utm_custom1=k_Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUycJoyjP5Zi5OgINgzZ8UIGz1ofr0ebo5sGScIdUZcE5fdLDfHA07IaApMkEALw_wcB_k&utm_content=go_12604170127_121302795033_508772765203_pla-353125135569_m__1008724006engb_102858184&utm_custom2=12604170127&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUycJoyjP5Zi5OgINgzZ8UIGz1ofr0ebo5sGScIdUZcE5fdLDfHA07IaApMkEALw_wcB coat extender[/link]

Please
or

TheRookie · 25/01/2023 11:28

Sorry that link didn't work

Please
or

Geranium1984 · 25/01/2023 11:29

I've got a 2.5mo and pop her in babygrow and a pramsuit/snowsuit thing. It's bloody freezing and they're not moving around like we are with walking

Please
or

TheRookie · 25/01/2023 11:32

Geranium1984 · 25/01/2023 11:29

I've got a 2.5mo and pop her in babygrow and a pramsuit/snowsuit thing. It's bloody freezing and they're not moving around like we are with walking

Please don't do this it's really bad for the hips as you can't get their legs properly positioned.

Please follow the good advice on this thread

Please
or

Batbatbatty · 25/01/2023 11:52

MaM by Manduca Flex Carrier Cover. Best thing ever for baby wearing in the cold weather.

Most of the time I pop my little one in the carrier only with his normal "inside clothes" on, stick a hat on and put this cover on. It wraps around his feet and body, covers the neck and back of head, and you don't have to do your own coat up. Keeps us so warm that I don't even feel the need to zip my coat up.

Carrier cover

Please
or

TheRookieMum · 25/01/2023 12:22

@Batbatbatty does that fit over any brand of carrier, do you know?

Also @TheRookie, nice username 😉

Please
or

TheRookie · 25/01/2023 12:29

Hi Mum 😅

Please
or

HighInTheHills · 25/01/2023 12:44

Just make sure with a babygro that it doesn't scrunch baby's toes up once they're in the carrier. Their torso will be warm from being against you so don't need big thick snowsuit.

With my three who have all been carried in slings since birth I used to go: vest, leggings/trousers, then long sleeve T-shirt and thick cardigan/little jacket. - one with a hood can be good as is stops the draughts down the back of their neck.

Also hat and then big thick socks or bootees and leg warmers.

If really cold then I might even add tights (for the boys too as well as my daughter) underneath.

I always found the bits that got coldest where their little legs and feet.

I absolutely loved carrying my babies all snuggled up against me and being able to kiss and sniff their little cheeks 🥰 it's one of the things I miss the most now that the youngest is 2.5yr and there are definitely no more babies on the cards here! Enjoy your baby OP, slings are the best!

Please
or

Batbatbatty · 25/01/2023 13:35

@TheRookieMum yes it's universal. We've used it over a wrap, a Marsupi, and an Ergobaby Breeze. It attaches to you, not to the carrier. My OH also wears it.

Please
or

itsabigtree · 25/01/2023 14:43

@TheRookie it depends on the suit and the carrier. I use integra baby mainly, which is a full wide bottomed carrier and my youngest's legs and hips can be positioned correctly in a snow suit/pram suit. I think it's best to let mums follow their instinct on matters like these. You'd know if your baby wasn't comfortable. I think it's best not to gate keep baby 'wearing' as it's incredibly beneficial to mother and baby.

Please
or

Pinktruffle · 25/01/2023 15:01

@Batbatbatty that cover looks really good. I've just picked up a fleecey grow from Asda so will give that a go first and maybe look at ordering the cover.

Thank you for the advice everyone

OP posts:
Please
or

TheRookieMum · 25/01/2023 16:46

Thanks @Batbatbatty, will look into the cover so I'm not house bound on wet days so much.

Sorry @itsabigtree, that's honestly the only piece of advice I have picked up from my local sling library's Facebook page. Perhaps wrong!

Please
or