My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Potty Training and Travelling

13 replies

HalfBloodPrince · 07/01/2023 20:34

After a couple of failed attempts previously, DS (3 next week) decided this morning he didn't want nappies anymore, great! He's done really well, only one accident (distracted eating dinner), I'm really pleased 😁
However, we're going to London Thursday for his birthday which involves an hour train ride, underground, plus being in museum etc all day so not always near loos. I have a carry potty but obviously don't want to whip it out in the middle of a train carriage or museum. 😳 Equally don't want to confuse him by putting a nappy on (well, nappy pants). What do I do?!

OP posts:
HalfBloodPrince · 08/01/2023 09:46

Hopeful bump? 😁

OP posts:
HalfBloodPrince · 08/01/2023 16:47

Anyone?? 😩

OP posts:
NuffSaidSam · 08/01/2023 16:49

Get him to go to the toilet before you get on the underground.

Then when you get to the museum and then every couple of hours whilst you're there.

The museum's in London generally have a good number of toilets, particularly the ones aimed at small children.

If he can't go longer than that between wees he isn't ready yet.

NuffSaidSam · 08/01/2023 16:51

Basically just get him to go to the toilet at regular intervals!

FinallyMrsE · 08/01/2023 16:52

kiddiwhizz.com

these are brilliant and saw me through potty training both my girls!

GiltEdges · 08/01/2023 16:54

FinallyMrsE · 08/01/2023 16:52

kiddiwhizz.com

these are brilliant and saw me through potty training both my girls!

Maybe it’s just me, but that’s absolutely vile.

If a child can’t hold it sufficiently to get to a toilet at regular intervals, then they’re not ready to be out of nappies.

elevenplusdilemma · 08/01/2023 16:55

At 3 I'm guessing his bladder will be pretty well developed and he'll be fine to hold wees for a while. Be sure to have a last minute toilet stop before getting on the train and as soon as you get off.
Visit the loo for a 'try' at every opportunity at the museum and other attractions.
We had some long journeys and in those situations we used pull-ups over normal pants and called them 'travel pants'. We didn't let on that they were absorbent / like nappies but they were useful for reassurance (ours, not the DC's) in case we couldn't make the loo in time. Wearing them over pants means they don't feel like nappies and avoid confusion.

Ubbee · 08/01/2023 16:57

Id take the travel potty so you know you have it. No shame in a 3yo needing it wherever! But obviously try to get him to use the normal loo whenever you have the chance.
And ensure you have a few spares in the bag. Best to be prepared, I’m sure it won’t be as bad as you think if he’s taken to it well initially!

FlounderingFruitcake · 08/01/2023 17:06

Honestly, use a pull up. You could even put it over pants so it doesn’t feel like a nappy and explain that it’s not because you think he can’t do it but because there might be a long time between loos. You can’t whip a potty out on the tube and if he needs to go urgently, which is fair enough as he’s still learning, it’ll be wet pants and a puddle. Whenever you can you take him to the loo, ideally once an hour, but a pull up removes the stress of it. One day won’t confuse him. Also, I have a folding travel toilet seat for my youngest so no need to lug a potty around everywhere then have to empty the contents.

HalfBloodPrince · 08/01/2023 18:10

Thank you everyone! He's done well again today, no accidents at all. Seems to be able to go 1.5/2 hours between wees so I think we should be okay. Just lots of toilet stops and plenty of spares just incase as suggested. Will also bring carry potty just to be on the safe side. Thanks again.

OP posts:
Hopeislost · 08/01/2023 18:20

I would just take him to the toilet really regularly. There are toilets on most trains, in some stations, and all museums.

Worth saving the underground toilet map to your phone in case you need to get off and make a dash for it.

content.tfl.gov.uk/toilets-map.pdf

MooseBreath · 08/01/2023 19:37

Along with spare underwear and pants, take a bunch of nappy sacks. You don't want wet wee-stinking clothes loose in your bag!

When toilet training, I practiced with DS on an actual toilet and held him on it for when we're out. He thought it was hilarious, and no travel potty necessary!

HalfBloodPrince · 08/01/2023 20:06

Ooh, that's really helpful, thank you @Hopeislost
Good shout on the nappy sacks, @MooseBreath will pack a bunch! Unfortunately DS is absolutely terrified at the prospect of using the actual toilet at the minute. He has an insert for the seat but will not entertain it at all yet. Thankfully we have the carry potty for now!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.