Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Breastfeeding: overactive letdown (I think?) making baby fussy at breast

3 replies

CycleGirl20 · 03/10/2022 10:44

I have a 9 week old. From birth, she's fussed a bit at the breast pulling off and on again, I think due to the milk being quite squirty. When she was only a few weeks she'd just keep trying and get a feed. Now she's a little older, she seems to be getting a bit more annoyed by it and pulling off and crying after a few tries, wanting me to stop it. Sometimes she's fine and feeds well, sometimes she gets really fussy.

I've noted she's fussier when:

• She's tired and has woken up fully
  • She's having a growth spurt
  • She's being a bit more intense with her feed and sucking harder

And less when
  • She's half asleep and sucking lightly
  • She's in a good mood

The milk is squirty for a while, like 5-10 mins, so I can't just catch the letdown.

I've tried:
  • Position - still happens feeding reclined
  • Scissoring with my fingers - works a bit, but not always and I think I now have a non-painful plugged duct (doctor tomorrow)
  • nipple shields, which worked until the baby started rejecting them sometimes, especially when she's already fussy
  • pumping some milk out I was told not to do due to encouraging more supply. I'd probably have to pump most of the milk out for it to stop anyway
  • block feeding 3 hours per side. Potentially worked, but not massively so.

She's been checked for tongue tie and doesn't have this.

Anyone else experienced similar? Anyone else found squirty milk isn't just an initial few minutes issue? I want to keep breastfeeding and this is an issue about 20% of the time so currently just powering through with a combination of the above, but some nights it makes a feed 2 hours, most of which is calming a pissed off baby. Will she just grow bigger and better able to manage it?
OP posts:
Please
or

Moguai · 25/01/2023 21:40

Hi, I have the same problems, did you ever find a solution?

Please
or

Duttercup · 25/01/2023 21:45

Oh, oversupply isn't talked about very much, maybe because it's seen as ungrateful but it can be really rough.

Hope it settled for you OP!

@Moguai for me, baby did just get bigger and more able to cope, and my boobs got less aggressive. But she was sicky after milk until she was 6 or 7 months.

Please
or

Moguai · 26/01/2023 09:03

Thanks for your reply, she's 10 weeks now so hopefully it'll settle down soon.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?