Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

VBAC or ELCS?

6 replies

Rachell1 · 30/09/2022 13:26

Hi all,

I am expecting baby number 2, my son will be 2 years 2 months when baby arrives and midwives are quite keen for me to try for a vaginal birth.

The reason why I had an emergency c section last time was because I was dilating slowly and the midwife decided to start the drip which intensifies the contractions, but shortly after she started this (which was done way too soon imo any way), baby’s heart rate dropped rapidly and on multiple occasions, leading to a chaotic c section.

I don’t have any particular preference, I suppose the recovery may be easier from a vaginal birth (seeing as I have a toddler to run around after). However, I am worried that I will have a repeat from last time and it may end in an emergency c section any way… and if I’m going to have a c section i’d rather it be planned rather than emergency. Although I completely appreciate nobody can know this until the time comes and its the risk I would have to take and remain hopeful and positive!

Has anybody reading this had a successful VBAC?

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Mamabear04 · 30/09/2022 14:20

Hello! I had a successful VBAC 11 weeks ago and so glad I did! DC1 was breech so a little bit of different circumstances. I would say that just because you have a VBAC doesn't mean that it will be the perfect birth and you'll still have to have time to recover. I had a bad 3rd degree tear but after a couple of weeks I was up and about so much more quickly and it was so nice to be able to get out of bed without the agony of post c-section. It's been much easier to look after a toddler as well but ive still not felt confident to take her out to the park alone yet as I'm not able to run yet but I am able to lift her/bend to help etc which I am so happy about. Although the VBAC was painful I would say the recovery is much less painful than the c-section and I feel better mentally for it. I also am so proud of my body and am so glad I did it! It was amazing to give birth vaginally! Like you I was really nervous going into it as to if I could do it but I think 2nd time around your body just knows what to do and you know what's basically going to happen so you are more aware of what's going on if that makes sense? I was in established labour after 2 hours of contractions coming on and was only pushing for like 20 mins (7 hours in total). I was also only in hospital one night and it was so nice to get home earlier. Feel free to ask any other questions you like. Hope everything goes well!

Please
or

Rachell1 · 30/09/2022 18:01

Thank you for sharing your story! It’s really encouraging to hear it was so positive for you and you are absolutely right this labour could be so different from the first and if I don’t try I will never know! Found your reply very helpful, thank you! X

OP posts:
Please
or

Blessedbethefruitz · 30/09/2022 18:08

Another vbac after cesarean for breech for ds1. I think I'm pain sensitive and the cesarean recovery for me (no complications, healed beautifully) was torture. I had a deep 2nd degree tear for my vbac this year, precipitous labour and shoulder dystocia (gas and air and worn off morphine for pain). I would do this 1000x before having another cesarean. I had a little soreness from the stitches after, and felt a bit bruised, but I was up and about with my v active 3 year old again immediately. It was an entirely different experience from ds! I felt I could be properly present for my v needy 3 year old even while learning to breastfeed :)

Everyone and every birth is different though. Good luck!

Please
or

YouPrettyThings · 30/09/2022 18:16

My first labour sounds exactly like yours - awful EMC and baby in neo-natal for 4 weeks. I had a plain sailing VBAC 2 years later - was booked in for a cesarean but went into labour naturally the day before.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Please
or

StandUpForYourRights · 30/09/2022 18:20

I'll give you the opposite pov. I had emergency section 1st time, almost exactly as you describe yours. Went elective 2nd time and so glad I did. Everything was so easy, planned and calm. Recovery was quick and no problem, even with a 20 month old running about. I have never regretted my decision.

Please
or

Babyboomtastic · 01/10/2022 15:20

Both of my sections were planned, but I know that that have had both often find a planned one better.

I recovered really easily after both - I was going round the supermarket pain free on day 3, was chasing my toddler round the garden in day 5 (I remember as I couldnt do it i pregnancy due to spd). I was going down slides in soft play with my toddler in under 2 weeks.

I loved my planned sections and wouldn't want to give birth in any other way

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?