Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

My baby is waking more now than she did at new born

12 replies

Babygirlmum · 30/09/2022 11:26

My daughter is 6 and a half months old and I feel like she is waking through the night for a feed more now than she did when she was new born, does anyone have any rips or recommend anything? is anyone else's baby like this?

OP posts:
Please
or

ChildWontStopGrowing · 30/09/2022 12:14

Yeah we had this for 2 months. It was teeth (8 of them, all at once). Night weaning helped, but you just have to ride it out. Does she settle to sleep okay? Other than settling issues and hunger, there's not much you can do I'm afraid.

Please
or

SunshineClouds1 · 30/09/2022 12:32

Yep I remember this and tbh he went through stages of it until 18month!

Teething
Growth spurt
Just wanting comfort

It's hard but does pass

Please
or

Babyboomtastic · 30/09/2022 12:40

It's pretty normal tbh.
People just don't tend to tell mums with newborns about it, especially they are struggling.

Both of mine slept worse as an older babies/young toddlers than newborns. That was the easy sleep bit.

Having a baby/toddler that frequently wakes, and dragging yourself off to work the next morning is next level hard.

Most do eventually improve, but some take their sweet time about it.

Please
or

RedHerring24 · 30/09/2022 13:24

Feeling the same at the mo. DD was sleeping through from about 4 months and it was amazing but the last month or 2 she will wake at 1-2am ish and will only settle with milk.
Some nights she goes straught back to sleep, others she will be awake for 2-3 hours messing about (as in laughing and rolling around in an over tired state).
Im blaming it on teeth as she seems to be cutting a few lower ones all at the same time. No upper ones yet though.

Please
or

justdontkno1 · 30/09/2022 15:06

All of mine slept worse as older babies and toddlers than when newborns. The newborn bit was the calmest , easiest bit with all my dcs. It’s prob a phase and will pass op, one of many phases , good luck !

Please
or

bologneseandbabies · 30/09/2022 19:08

Newborns was the easy bit for us. I don't know when it ends but as long as you've ruled out hunger, optimised day naps, and have a bed time routine.....then you can be fairly sure it's teething, growth spurt, wind, fussy stage! It's hard.

Please
or

SamanthaVimes · 30/09/2022 20:18

My DD slept better at 3 months than she did at 12 months! I found this useful to read when I was in the thick of it
sarahockwell-smith.com/2017/07/24/the-rollercoaster-of-real-baby-sleep/

Please
or

MGee123 · 30/09/2022 22:32

Yeah they seriously kill you into a false sense of security the first few months! Months 4-7 were worst for us. It's got progressively better since then with they odd blip when she's ill or teething. Hang in there, it will get better.

Please
or

MGee123 · 30/09/2022 22:33

😂 not kill, lull! Although I spent a lot of time wondering how long it took to die from sleep deprivation so kill might not be far off.

Please
or

SunflowerGirl91 · 01/10/2022 22:25

totally normal

it’s biologically normal for babies and toddlers to wake up overnight for many reasons.

Please
or

Calphurnia88 · 01/10/2022 23:19

SamanthaVimes · 30/09/2022 20:18

My DD slept better at 3 months than she did at 12 months! I found this useful to read when I was in the thick of it
sarahockwell-smith.com/2017/07/24/the-rollercoaster-of-real-baby-sleep/

I was going to share the same Sarah Ockwell-Smith article!

OP this is totally normal, it's just not something that's spoken about a lot - the misconception is that sleep gets better the older the baby gets (which simply isn't true, unless you've been very lucky). It's to do with sleep cycles changing once they're out of the newborn period.

Please
or

notangelinajolie · 01/10/2022 23:52

Sounds normal to me. Newborns just sleep and feed. You can’t compare a 6 and a half month old with a newborn. They will be weening for a start.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?