Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Writing sample of child

46 replies

Jemmalee · 29/09/2022 10:39

My youngest son has dysgraphia and this was not picked up at school so he was told off a lot for not completing his writing in time - or to an acceptable standard. This lead to anxiety around writing for him and it was so bad he actually began setting himself when asked to write. I took him out of said school and I have been working hard on helping him since. He has made enormous progress and just for my own reference I’m wondering what age people would guess he is. I’m proud of him regardless because he no longer fears writing and is beginning to enjoy it! Here are a few pieces of writing he completed by himself without any help from me. That in itself is huge progress. But what age range would you guess he is?

Writing sample of child
Writing sample of child
OP posts:
Please
or

Jemmalee · 29/09/2022 10:40

i meant to say he began wetting himself when writing.

OP posts:
Please
or

shivawn · 29/09/2022 16:22

Honestly I have no idea because I'm not familiar with children's writing but that's lovely and easy to read, a lot better than a lot of adults I work with!

Please
or

HebeSunshine · 29/09/2022 16:24

Well that’s better than my 17 yr old DS’s writing.

Please
or

candycaneframe · 29/09/2022 16:26

It's better than my handwriting so I'd say it's fab!

Please
or

Moonlaserbearwolf · 29/09/2022 16:30

No idea about the age (could be anywhere between 7-15!) but it's lovely and legible. Well done to your son!

Please
or

MissDollyMix · 29/09/2022 16:32

Oh bless him. No idea what age is he but it’s better than my DS’s handwriting and he’s 12 (with admittedly terrible handwriting!)

Please
or

CollieWobble22 · 29/09/2022 16:36

9!

Please
or

Dilbertian · 29/09/2022 16:41

His handwriting is lovely. Don't worry that it's not cursive. As long as he can write legibly (and it is beautifully legible) at a reasonable speed, he's nailed it.

My youngest has always had virtually illegible handwriting, and has always refused any intervention or support. He's stubborn. His primary were very unsupportive, though at least they did not actively cause him distress over it. At 15 he was assessed by his secondary school and now uses a laptop for essays and exams.

Please
or

flowerstar19 · 29/09/2022 16:42

Oh bless him, well done for helping him so much. His writing is beautiful and I would guess age 9?

Please
or

CollieWobble22 · 29/09/2022 16:43

His handwriting is gorgeous x

Please
or

Nillynally · 29/09/2022 16:48

My levelling is very rusty and I'm not guessing his age but I would expect to see that from an average year 3 child. Very nice handwriting, beautifully legible.

Please
or

rainbowandglitter · 29/09/2022 16:50

I'd say 8.

Please
or

RosaBaby2 · 29/09/2022 16:53

Please
or

ghostsandpumpkinsalready · 29/09/2022 17:00

I'd guess about 10 but it's lovely and neat x
My daughter is struggling with handwriting and it's really difficult to keep her going when she knows she's behind her peers 😩
Her occupational therapist has recommended a laptop because it's holding her back academically but school are resistant as yet which is very frustrating.

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 29/09/2022 17:06

7/8?

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 29/09/2022 17:07

Possibly younger than 7 as not cursive.

Please
or

MaggieMagpie357 · 29/09/2022 17:08

@ghostsandpumpkinsalready has the occupational therapist produced a report to send to the school? My DD has hypermobility in her hands and the OT recommended a laptop as she cannot write for extended periods of time. She is taking GCSEs next year and this has already been confirmed as ok with the exam boards. The school have an obligation to provide necessary accommodations for your child, don't let them tell you otherwise.

Please
or

ghostsandpumpkinsalready · 29/09/2022 17:11

MaggieMagpie357 · 29/09/2022 17:08

@ghostsandpumpkinsalready has the occupational therapist produced a report to send to the school? My DD has hypermobility in her hands and the OT recommended a laptop as she cannot write for extended periods of time. She is taking GCSEs next year and this has already been confirmed as ok with the exam boards. The school have an obligation to provide necessary accommodations for your child, don't let them tell you otherwise.

They to be fair have only had the report a couple of weeks but they are saying they think it will just stop her progress with a pencil 😩
I'm having none of it don't worry 🤣

Please
or

Whaythw3 · 29/09/2022 18:00

No experience with school children so can't guess age, but also wanted to say that's the neatest handwriting I've seen in a long time (including adults!).

Please
or

Caaarrrl · 29/09/2022 18:42

Lots of missing capital letters and the sentence construction and vocabulary are not very varied, although it is lovely and neat. I would guess year 3?

Having said that, it is great that he is feeling less anxious and is more willing to write. Well done, OP.

Please
or

MaggieMagpie357 · 29/09/2022 19:52

@ghostsandpumpkinsalready think you may have pressed send too early?! The school should be offering a trial period at least with a computer to see if this is a suitable solution!

Please
or

CinderellaFant · 29/09/2022 19:55

Lovely writing- looks similar to my dd's who is 10. My DS is 12 and his is way worse 🤦‍♀️

Please
or

RebeccaCloud9 · 29/09/2022 19:59

I'm a year 3 teacher. The children I teach have writing that varies from totally illegible to complex, beautiful and interesting.

I would be happy with that writing in my year 3 class. But the absolute most important thing is that, whatever age he is, he is writing, making progress, and enjoying it!

Please
or

Tonkerbea · 29/09/2022 20:40

Well done your DS! Anything from 8/9 to teenager I'd say

Please
or

Emailconfirmed · 29/09/2022 21:00

Based on capital letter usage, spelling and it not being in cursive (most teach cursive first but I have heard of some waiting until KS2 but since you're home ed you could've scrapped that notion), I would guess 6 or 7.
Though via the amount written in second pic I would guess 7-9.
I think given context of a child who has been struggling I'm going to go for 8 or 9.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?