Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Is this chicken pox?

22 replies

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 22:33

Yesterday afternoon i noticed an angry red spot on my little ones stomach, no others anywhere else, this morning still the same, but this evening noticed another one on her side. Do these look like chickepox? Is she likely to come out with anymore. They are sore if touched.
Has been very tired and a bit rundown but nothing else.

Is this chicken pox?
Is this chicken pox?
Is this chicken pox?
OP's posts:
Please
or

Haggisfish3 · 27/09/2022 22:40

They do look like they could be.

Please
or

justanothermummma · 27/09/2022 22:48

Has she had a cough?
Sometimes that's a sign.
My eldest has had it twice and my youngest once. They had coughs at the start.

Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 22:51

No, she has complained of a headache and a belly ache but thats all, and shes been very tired and not her usual self, shes just started school so i put it down to that There painful to touch, she wont let me near them but otherwise not bothering her x

OP's posts:
Please
or

solania · 27/09/2022 23:00

Headache and bellyache suggest it might be chickenpox, unfortunately! Unfortunately it’s a waiting game to see if the spots blister - I hope it isn’t what you fear!

Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 23:10

These are them now?? I guess its a waiting game.. shall i keep her off school?

Is this chicken pox?
Is this chicken pox?
OP's posts:
Please
or

solania · 27/09/2022 23:17

Hard to say. We’ve just had similar as we thought DS had it (suspicious spots and generally not feeling well) so I was on the phone to my boss last night rearranging work hours etc, so I could take care of him, only for the spots to vanish by morning and he's absolutely fine 😆 see how they are in the morning? If you’re suspicious then I’d probably keep her off.

Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 23:20

😩🤣always the way.. the first pic has been there since yesterday afternoon, sent her in to school today and when bather her this evening noticed the 2nd one. I'll call them in the morning and keep her off until it becomes apparent one way or the other xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

RubyJam · 27/09/2022 23:24

Yes looks like it to me , especially the first photo.
In our experience they start off looking like little red “ midgie “ bites scattered around , my DC had them on neck / behind ears and torso first.
Then the redness goes to little liquid filled blisters , takes about 5-7 days to clear up In our experience, each child In the house got it exactly 7 days after the next.

Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 23:32

Ok thank you, yes when i saw the 2nd spot (the first photo) i thought definatly looks like it. Did they spread all over with your DC? How long did it take from when the first spots came out? At the moment its been around 24 hours or so and only the two so far xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

sleighbellsjiggling · 27/09/2022 23:40

It definitely could be. IME the next day or so will tell you. My DD had a couple one day that I couldn't make a call on but by the next day was covered with more appearing as the days went on. My DS got it bang on 2 weeks later but way more spots.

Both started with general cold symptoms and slept loads for a day or two. Get plenty of wine calpol, virasoothe, and oats in. They spent a LOT of time in the bath with a porridge-y sock!

Please
or

RubyJam · 27/09/2022 23:40

First few little spots appeared the sat evening , I thought they were insect bites , by the Sunday they had spread and the first ones were filling with fluid , by the Tuesday quite widespread over torso / under arms / between toes etc , by the Friday all started scabbing up so about 6-7 days for full process.
Each DC caught it 7 days after the other following similar pattern , last DC to get it got it the worst.

Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 23:46

The porridgy sock brings back some memories, loved a nice oaty bath for eczema when i was young, will definatly stock up on the wine 🤣 calpol ect. My DS has been poorly too, sniffly, cold like symptoms i put down to teething and change in weather...now im wondering if he is coming down with it too and if they both were around the same person at some point 2 weeks ago 😩🙄 this could be fun 🤣 xxxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

Raexxx · 27/09/2022 23:48

Ohhh 😩 your poor little ones, that must of been an exhausting few weeks for you .. i will keep her off and see what happens over next day or so xxx

OP's posts:
Please
or

lovelilies · 28/09/2022 00:03

Mine got it together, DD 24h after DS started with it. At least they were quarantined together! The spots come thick and fast once they get going and all of mine were covered from head to toe within 48h.

Please
or

Bmco · 29/09/2022 20:04

I was just looking this up as yesterday I noticed a couple of little bite like red spots and today this (on her leg) and another on her arm. But my little one isn’t unwell right now thankfully. Waiting to see what the morning brings 🤦🏼‍♀️. She’s just started school so I was half expecting this having avoided it so far but they do have forest school so wondering if bites from the woods. Who knows! Hope your little one is doing ok

Is this chicken pox?
Please
or

RubyJam · 29/09/2022 20:19

Bmco · 29/09/2022 20:04

I was just looking this up as yesterday I noticed a couple of little bite like red spots and today this (on her leg) and another on her arm. But my little one isn’t unwell right now thankfully. Waiting to see what the morning brings 🤦🏼‍♀️. She’s just started school so I was half expecting this having avoided it so far but they do have forest school so wondering if bites from the woods. Who knows! Hope your little one is doing ok

That doesn’t look like chicken pox to me , none of my DC had that redness radiating like that , it was just the actual spots / blisters.

Please
or

snowbellsxox · 29/09/2022 20:20

Second one looks to be yes

Please
or

Bmco · 29/09/2022 22:18

My thoughts too as it has a whiter head but agreed, the one with the redness around definitely looks like a bite. Confusing. Ah well. The night will tell I am sure!

Please
or

boobot1 · 29/09/2022 22:23

I would say no. Ds gets this when the heating goes on. Chicken pox multiply really quickly as in you can actually see them appear. It looks like heat to me.

Please
or

Bmco · 01/10/2022 16:34

Just an update from us - the clinical team do now think chicken pox, although potentially mild. My daughter got a few other random spots (only about 7 in total) but woke up with a headache and temperature. Kind of ok in herself but sleepy and not eating much. I must admit I’m still dubious but for now we’re being told to treat it as pox so we will. Thanks for all the comments.

Please
or

paintitallover · 01/10/2022 17:29

I can recommend calamine cream, which is not drying but I found works as well to soothe irritation.

Care Aqueous and Calamine Cream Tube 100 g (Pack of 1) amzn.eu/d/bCfDWpA?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Please
or

Bmco · 01/10/2022 20:00

Thank you - we had some of this luckily and the pharmacist told us to get poxclin too. She’s actually not too itchy yet just very hot and miserable with a headache and tummy ache, little cough too now.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?