Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Gummy vits (esp. iron) for 2yo

21 replies

BerthaYoung · 26/09/2022 21:12

Does anyone know of a chewable gummy vitamin supplement that would be suitable/usable for a 2yo? I’m looking for one with a decent iron content. I’m assuming chewable ones are generally recommended for age 3+ because of choking risk… Which is a risk I’m pretty willing to take as DD already eats frozen peas on a regular basis. Is the actual vit/mineral content going to be a problem for a younger child? Different brands seem to have such different amounts, I can’t work out what is a suitable amount for a particular age.

OP posts:
Please
or

ProlifiInProfanity · 26/09/2022 22:24

I don’t think choking is a risk you should ever be willing to take tbh. A rubbery gummy sweet doesn’t behave the same way as a frozen pea at all.

Stick to liquid, this one is for up to 4 year olds. Why do you feel iron is needed especially?
www.vitabiotics.com/products/wellbaby-multi-vitamin-liquid?variant=29084131983429&gclid=CjwKCAjwm8WZBhBUEiwA178UnNXWeuaeMiax2ipW2NKK6_6zcbv3dOUQVHVLttvpe2S0b1wZjByIHRoCK3MQAvD_BwE

this is iron for 2 year olds.
www.vitabiotics.com/products/feroglobin-baby-drops?variant=39535901802553&gclid=CjwKCAjwm8WZBhBUEiwA178UnCIK5OVJ8Ie8Yx980S9xgSsktA-d2kaaZw9qmwyvVn5KIEnmUSAjDBoCcEEQAvD_BwE

Please
or

lakequeen · 26/09/2022 22:31

I'd stick to a liquid too, but if you really want to give a chewable vitamin I'd get the tablet type rather than the gummies, you could probably break them up if you wanted to make the pieces smaller.

However, I have no idea how safe it is in terms of the dose of iron etc to do this. If they are almost three it would be OK I expect, but if they are just turned two maybe you should check with a health professional.

Please
or

pastaandpesto · 26/09/2022 22:37

DD has low iron levels so I've spent a lot of time looking at this!

I havr never found a gummy option that has a decent level of iron in it. The best I've found is the Boots kids chewable multivitamin with iron. It's strawberry milkshake flavour I think - probably not quite as tasty as a gummy but not bad. You could cut it up into smaller pieces if you are worried about choking.

The issue with iron is that in any half-decent concentration it has a strong taste which is difficult to mask.

Please
or

BerthaYoung · 26/09/2022 22:41

Thanks @ProlifiInProfanity I appreciate the response and the links. I was being flippant about the risk, which was misjudged - I’m sorry. I was trying to ask, awkwardly, whether the choking risk is the only reason for the age limit - in which case I might make a judgement. The problem is all the liquid supplements I’ve tried get refused, and TBF they smell and taste gross. I was thinking a “sweetie” would be well received! Iron is b/c we don’t eat meat, DD has always been BF, and I tend to have low levels.

OP posts:
Please
or

Boomboom22 · 26/09/2022 22:46

The nature's aid iron drops are ok in summer fruits squash, especially with a raspberry vitamin like abidec as well.
Most are designed to be mixed with a drink for little ones under 4 rather than straight.

Please
or

BerthaYoung · 26/09/2022 22:46

Thanks @pastaandpesto i hadn’t seen those ones! That’s the only one I’ve seen with the full recommended daily iron intake for 1-3 year olds. Good to know.

OP posts:
Please
or

BerthaYoung · 26/09/2022 22:48

Good idea to put with squash @Boomboom22 - she doesn’t get to drink that usually so I think a small cup as a treat could get the drops down her! Thanks for the suggested combo.

OP posts:
Please
or

Boomboom22 · 26/09/2022 22:49

Must be purple as the iron is so dark 😁

Please
or

hopsalong · 26/09/2022 22:51

I would recommend the 'Animal parade gold' vitamins from Nature's Plus. The orange-flavoured ones are tastiest. Good balance of vitamins, in absorbable/ high quality forms. DH and I also take them!

I totally get the chewable vs liquid dilemma. I think these (which are hardish) are less likely to be a choking risk than gummy ones, because they melt quite quickly in the mouth. For a smaller child I might either cut in two or soak in juice or water to soften first. But, having said this, I gave them to DS before he was three. (Probably wouldn't have done around his second birthday, but did so long before I stopped chopping grapes and popping blueberries. Raw carrot, cheese cubes etc seem to me greater choking hazards.)

Please
or

BerthaYoung · 26/09/2022 22:56

Thank you @hopsalong - nice to see something recommended for 2yo. Hadn’t seen that brand before. And great to find something adults are willing to tolerate the taste of!

OP posts:
Please
or

whatshouldIdo2022 · 26/09/2022 23:00

I give my 2 year old gummies but I cut them up into smaller pieces first, she won't take any liquid vitamins.

Please
or

whatshouldIdo2022 · 26/09/2022 23:02

Not sure why my post has been hidden, it simply says that I cut up gummy vitamins into smaller pieces for my 2 year old.

Please
or

LadybirdsAreNeverHappy · 26/09/2022 23:06

I was going to give them to my dd when she was about 2.6 but I waited because they are a lot bigger and harder than I’d expected. I wouldn’t recommend them for a two year old.

Please
or

BerthaYoung · 27/09/2022 05:49

Which ones @LadybirdsAreNeverHappy ? Gummies in general? I’m thinking now chewable or liquid disguised in squash might be best.

Thanks @whatshouldIdo2022 My understanding of choking risk though is that smaller bits can actually be more dangerous as the chewing function isn’t necessarily triggered by the brain (or something). Solid Starts address this really well. They seem to say it’s to give something in bigger pieces and coach the child.

OP posts:
Please
or

BerthaYoung · 27/09/2022 05:55

Something weird going on with this thread! I was just saying …

Which ones @LadybirdsAreNeverHappy ? Gummies in general? I’m considering chewable or liquid in squash/juice now. Mainly because gummies don’t seem to have good iron content.

@whatshouldIdo2022 Thanks for the tip. I’ve heard smaller bits can be a greater risk though, as the child might not chew at all. But then I haven’t actually seen the gummies!

OP posts:
Please
or

BerthaYoung · 27/09/2022 05:56

Goodness, I’m not typing that again. Not sure what’s going on with this thread!

thanks everyone!

OP posts:
Please
or

HopeMumsnet · 27/09/2022 07:34

Hi all,
We think the thread should be okay now? Sorry about that, it's our AI kicking in.

Please
or

mmmflakycrust81 · 27/09/2022 11:44

I spoke to the HV about this - she said in terms of what the vitamins have its all awash with the age and its 3 and up because of the choking risk, and she said its a judgement call whether you want to use them or not.

We use the Natures Aid drops into either a very weak squash or some yoghurt!

Please
or

BerthaYoung · 29/09/2022 22:26

This reply has been hidden until the MNHQ team can have a look at it.
Please
or

BerthaYoung · 30/09/2022 10:55

Tried a spray vit we already had in the house - can confirm this particular toddler is not a fan!

OP posts:
Please
or

pjani · 30/09/2022 22:03

Health Aid children’s multivitamins are for 2 plus. I started my little one on halves but she chomps them fine. You can buy them on Amazon and some local pharmacies.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?