Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

11h flight with a 1 year old?

Ririi · 23/09/2022 11:47

we are planning our honeymoon and really wanted to go somewhere nice. We will be travelling with our 1yo baby, which makes things slightly more difficult.

He is amazing on short flights, he is mostly asleep or plays for a little bit and falls asleep. But I have no idea how we will handle a 11h flight. Is it worth it?

What's your experience with long haul and toddlers?

OP's posts:
Please
or

abovedecknotbelow · 23/09/2022 11:48

Hideous. Sorry!

Did it at 1 and at 3 with DTs, 3 was pretty bad but 1 broke me. It was longer, to Aus though.

Please
or

notdaddycool · 23/09/2022 11:50

We did several, one was awful the rest were fine, people remember the bad ones!

Please
or

DrJump · 23/09/2022 11:50

Its fine. It sucks and then it’s over. Have some snacks and quite activities. Pop ona movie and then a podcast, story book, kids radio, have one of you eat while toddler eats and then swap. Same with a bit of a nap.

Please
or

PrincessSpanky · 23/09/2022 12:16

DS1 has always been an amazing flier. Any age has been perfect.

DS2 was fine when he was 5 weeks old. Then an absolute nightmare when 3, not been able to fly for a few years, so by the time we do it should be ok.

We always fly long distance to visit family.

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 23/09/2022 12:43

Try and get a flight that departs early evening. Change your dc into pyjamas at the airport, give them a drink of milk once you board the plane, read a bedtime story book and the leave them to fall asleep.

Please
or

Sidge · 23/09/2022 12:49

I did UK to Perth when DD3 was one. An 8 hour stretch then 11 hours.

It was horrendous! She hardly slept, when she did and I put her in the bassinette every time the seatbelt sign went on (a lot, over the Pacific) I had to take her out and hold her so I didn’t sleep.

She was breastfed which helped but was also just starting to walk so I ended up doing lengths of the plane.

It was worth it when we got there though 🙂

Please
or

FlounderingFruitcake · 23/09/2022 12:53

Ipad with headphones (practice at home with those), all the snacks and book them their own seat! I prefer day flights to night as there’s less stress of what if they don’t sleep, are overtired, cry etc. Although Benadryl was popular in my expat moms group!

Please
or

eurochick · 23/09/2022 12:53

1-3 is the worst age for flying. I wouldn't have high hopes that it would go well.

Please
or

UghNoTime · 23/09/2022 13:01

I've flown long haul dozens (I think?) times with little kids as we were expats. I've never had a bad flight flight but I don't see why anyone would want to do it if they didn't have to.

Have you relatives you can leave the kid with?

Personally I'd fly somewhere closer to home and leave the long haul until the kid is older.'

Would you be flying economy?

Please
or

Ririi · 23/09/2022 15:00

Thank you for all the advice. My son has been amazing with 3/4 hour flights. He is a breastfed baby, so I am hoping it will be bearable.

Yes, unfortunately we will have to fly economy with BA. I have seen they have the front seats in the economy family friendly - hopefully we can book those.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ThorsBedazzler · 23/09/2022 15:06

We went to Australia with an 18 month old. Tips:

Try and get a bulkhead seat and sky cot if you can. It means a bit more foot space and even if the child doesn't sleep or stay in the cot, you can keep stuff in it.

Spare change of clothes for all of you. Baby next to us vomited all over her mum about an hour into the flight. Hideous.

Take some toys, we took some chunky wooden animals. For the aesthetics in reality. Don't take musical toys, you'll hat either toy by the end and fellow passengers will hate them within an hour.

Books - something to read to them. Take ones they can flip pages on.

Cuddly toy and sleeping bag.

Loads of nappies and wipes. And bags. And another change of clothes.

Accept you are unlikely to sleep or feel rested by the end of the flight. That way if you get any sleep then its a bonus.

Buy a cheap stroller/push chair to take. You can take it right to the plane door which helps in the airport. Cheap neans you won't be upset if it gets destroyed by baggage handlers. Ours didn't (had a zappp pushchair, about £50 from amazon many moons so and it was a pot more robust than we thought it would be).

Good luck!

Please
or

AriettyHomily · 23/09/2022 15:08

Be aware of the airline weight limits for the sky cots / bulkheads, and even if you ore book if someone has a younger baby they can bump you out.

Please
or

LionessesRules · 23/09/2022 15:11

Don't do it.
From being mobile until they are about 4 and can sit with a screen and headphones, flights are awful.
DS1 just DOES NOT SLEEP on a plane. We did the nightflight, PJs, milk thing and he's drowsy, the the engines go on, and ping, he's wide awake. Now a teen, and still wont sleep on a plane.

Honestly, I'd go somewhere closer for your honeymoon, and save the money for a fabulous trip somewhere in 5 years time.

Please
or

UghNoTime · 23/09/2022 16:01

An 11 hour flight isn't comparable with a 3 or 4 hour flight. I can't imagine why you would chose to do that for a holiday. I did it but it was always to see relatives.

Please
or

cadburyegg · 23/09/2022 21:45

Good god, no. I am so terrified of flying with kids I am only considering it now mine are 7 and 4 😩

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?