Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

How do I stop dd pretending she needs the toilet?

Beanbag222 · 23/09/2022 08:08

Single parent to 3.5 yr old dd. Potty trained for around 6 months.

Whenever I need to do something important she pretends to need the toilet so my attention is back on her and it's getting pretty frustrating. She gets plenty of my attention all other times, it's perhaps once every 3 days when I need to fill in a form, be in the middle of cooking a meal or say talking to the neighbour for five minutes. She'll suddenly say she needs a wee and then as soon as I'm taking her upstairs say she doesn't really.

I can't send her on her own (she has some movement delays and isn't great at climbing stairs/on to the toilet yet)

I've tried making her sit on the toilet for a few minutes anyway to "have a try"

I've spoken to her about what lying is and how it's not a good thing.

We've read the boy who cries wolf a few times.

I don't want to not take her incase she really does need to go and has an accident.

I just want to be able to do something that's not focused on her for five bloody minutes without her shouting I NEED A WEE. Any ideas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Maray1967 · 23/09/2022 08:27

Yes. Keep a potty downstairs (buy one if you’ve got rid of them) and tell her that’s where she goes when she unexpectedly ‘needs a wee’. She gets taken to the toilet upstairs when you think she will need it but when she does this as an attention seeking thing she does not get the attention - you just send her to the potty.

Please
or

Changemynamee · 23/09/2022 08:34

Keep a relaxed approach and a potty downstairs. She can't really understand the boy who cried wolf concept. Toddlers are known for being challenging. If she craves attention give it to her. Do forms etc when she has a nap or in bed.

Please
or

SavingsThreads · 23/09/2022 08:42

Mine did this. We'd just say 'do you really or are you just pretending' and he'd say 'just pretending'. It was like he couldn't work out how to lie about a lie

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 23/09/2022 08:46

She is 3 and a half you don't need to be dropping everything and running to the toilet with her let her go herself get a step for the bathroom so she can get on or a potty in the living room or wherever. Children will get their attention fix from every source don't feed into it.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 23/09/2022 08:47

Mine did this. We'd just say 'do you really or are you just pretending' and he'd say 'just pretending'. It was like he couldn't work out how to lie about a lie

Bless him 😃

Please
or

Chattycathydoll · 23/09/2022 08:49

Lol, mine too
’is that a fib?’
‘Yes’

Please
or

Seeline · 23/09/2022 08:49

Take her before you start something 'important'.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 23/09/2022 08:56

Seeline · 23/09/2022 08:49

Take her before you start something 'important'.

Oh now this is good, stop her in her tracks.

Please
or

Mrsjayy · 23/09/2022 08:58

Op I'm so sorry I didn't read properly you said she has some delays and can't manage the stairs.

Please
or

Beanbag222 · 23/09/2022 09:10

Thank you for the responses, taking her before I start something seems so obvious I don't know why I didn't think of it!

If that doesn't work I'll try a potty downstairs. Physical therapy is working with her movement so hopefully she'll be able to get take herself soon.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?