Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Transitioning to a straw cup

RedHerring24 · 22/09/2022 14:33

DD is coming up to 10months old and I have been trying to get her used to drinking through a straw so she can have water etc at nursery via a no spill cup.
I have a weighted straw cup but she really struggles to get any water out. To be fair, I have tried and it does take some force!
She can drink from an open cup well and will do at meal times.

So, can anyone recommend a no spill, straw cup which would be easy to hold and suitable for use at nursery?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheBirdintheCave · 22/09/2022 14:44

We have a Tommee Tippee cup for our toddler that has a straw and a flip lid. He took to it very quickly and has now started drinking out of a glass with a straw so I consider it a great success. It did take a while for him to understand the sucking motion though.

Please
or

FlipFlopFlippedyFlop · 22/09/2022 15:46

All the nurseries I have experience with have used the tommee tippee cup with the flip lid. I tried to get Ds used to a straw cup with a weighted straw but after the first wash I couldn't figure out how to put it back together again. Hopefully he'll turn out to be smarter than his mum!!

Please
or

canihaveawineyet · 22/09/2022 16:30

If you're using the munchkin straw cup they are very difficult to get anything out of! (Not that my LO minds). The tum tum is a bit easier I think x

Please
or

Danikm151 · 22/09/2022 16:49

How about a 360 or sippy cup instead.
the weighted straw cups take a lot of force and are a bitch to clean

Please
or

RedHerring24 · 22/09/2022 19:40

We currently have one of the Tum Tum cups which is great, but so hard to get the liquid out of.
We do have a typical sippy cup too but she likes to try and open it and the lid just presses on and to be honest, I can do without her soaking herself multiple times a day!
I will take a look at the Tommy Tippee one as it has been mentioned a few times on here.

Thank you.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Allthecoloursoftherainbow · 22/09/2022 21:33

At Tesco they do a Fred & Flo one, there's no 'valve' in the straw so it's not difficult to suck the water out and it's much cheaper than the brands!

Please
or

TheGlitterFairy · 22/09/2022 21:47

DS has a b.box straw cup that has the weighted straw and gets on with it well - easy to hold and not too hard to get the water out (I tried); you can also get a fastener for the buggy/ car seat so it doesn’t fall down / child can pick up when they want to drink water which is great.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?