Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Done with baby groups

30 replies

whatiszzz · 22/09/2022 13:39

My little one just now would not stop crying in a baby group, none of the mums were even talking to me anyway, they all seemed to know each other so I was sitting there with my baby feeling just quite lonely so just left halfway through. She was not getting on with it.
The ones I’ve gone to have been very clicky. Or I get on with one mum and they don’t come back.
my baby is 3 months, if I stop going would this harm her development? She’s a very fussy baby so always kicking off at some point in these groups too which makes me more anxious :(

OP posts:
Please
or

whatshouldIdo2022 · 22/09/2022 19:56

Never took DD to them, she's 2 now and seems unharmed, she has been at part time childcare since 1 and I had/made friends with similar age babies so we spend some time with them too. I know a few others who have also never been to a baby group- they aren't compulsory!

Please
or

TheYearOfSmallThings · 22/09/2022 19:56

At 3 months it makes no difference to her whether you go or not. But I would say keep going - not to the same one if it doesn't work for you, but keep trying different ones. Sooner or later you will find a friendly one and make some connections - my baby group friends are from those early days because we actually got to talk to each other. Once the babies start moving it is much harder to chat, so you tend to stick to the people you already know.

Please
or

Shoopshoopshoopshoopshoop · 22/09/2022 20:09

DC1 went to every group going (mostly so I had a reason to leave the house every day).

DC2 was born in 2020 so went nowhere.

The only detriment was to my mental health, both children are fine.

Don’t put pressure on yourself, maybe wait till your baby is a little older so is less fussy, or try a different group/time of day. You have to find what works for you.

Please
or

RegeJeanPageMeOnMyCellphone · 22/09/2022 21:30

There we’re no baby clubs near me so I used to go to the library when they did singing or story time. That was really nice as although there were a few regulars, lots just drop in as and when so it never got too cliquey.

I used to take DS on a walk around the park every day (and have lunch if it was sunny!) and would often see other mums and stop for a chat.

If you want inspiration for things to engage your DC, the Baby Club show on CBeebies is great.

Please
or

SatinHeart · 22/09/2022 21:41

Not going to baby groups doesn't harm your baby's development. My second DC was a lockdown baby and none of the groups were running for ages. They are quite good for your baby's immune system though!

With DC1 I found most baby groups improved when I signed up for a second term. DC1 was that bit older and it was more fun and less stress. Some of the clicky mums moved on / went back to work and new faces joined who didn't know anybody either.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?