Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Teething

GirlMumxo · 22/09/2022 12:19

I'm a first time mum, so this is all my first rodeo. But my 5 month old has been showing signs of teething since about 3 and a bit months, dribbling, chewing her hands. Lately she's been biting her bottle teat, will just want to chew anything and everything. I've bought her teethers and she'd much rather her hand to chew. I've bought her astons and parsons powder.

But what I'm asking is, when do you know your baby is teething? And what are the signs teeth are cutting through? I've looked at her gums and there isn't any sharp areas. I'm going to attach pictures of her bottom gums, because I have no idea

Teething
OP's posts:
Please
or

Vicky1989x · 22/09/2022 13:34

When a tooth is about to cut the gum will go greyish and have an indent like this picture.

They can show signs of teething for months before a tooth appears. My DD was showing signs from 4 months but didn’t get her first tooth until 6 days after her 1st birthday.

Teething
Please
or

Margo34 · 22/09/2022 13:39

My DC1 got the first 2 teeth at 3m and it took me totally by surprise as a FTM, thought I just had a very fussy one! 😂

Signs were lots of crying, comfort seeking, waking every 20m at night, shadows under the gums and then 2 small white hyphen-like dashes where the teeth were to come through. All happened quite quickly for us! 3 teeth short of a full set by 12m.

Please
or

GirlMumxo · 22/09/2022 15:30

Oh wow! Okay, this is information I didn't know. My nephew who is 9 days older than my little girl has cut 2 teeth and I with that first time mum feeling thought why is my little girl not. But this proves how different it can be

OP's posts:
Please
or

ChildWontStopGrowing · 22/09/2022 22:17

Chronic teething is a thing

There are various indications, but all babies don't show symptoms - for mine it was only definite when the tooth was physically through the gum.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?