Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Exasperated with Toddler Not Eating!

QS90 · 21/09/2022 23:48

I have a 21 month old, who refuses to eat and am starting to get worried. He is so active and charges around so much in the day, and is growing tall so quickly that he's getting skinny :(

I don't make a big deal of it and just say "that's fine if you don't want to eat it, you don't have to" and kiss him in the head. He is teething, but have resorted to giving Calpol a half hour before our main dinner, out of desperation, and have been serving easy to eat foods like porridge or meatloaf. We eat the same things, together, either watching TV with him in a highchair, or at the dinner table and I try to give him things he likes (although what he likes seems to change daily). Having slept through for a good few months, he has started waking up at night hungry, which is a dilemma too as don't want to encourage reverse sleep training and weaning. I know he is hungry in the day too, as he rubs his tummy and goes "mmmmmm!!" which is his way of telling me he's hungry. When I ask if he's hungry he gives a resounding "YES!!" but then only has a couple of bites of whatever I make.

At my wits end!! Has anyone gone through anything similar? Did you find a way to get them to eat?? If a phase, when did it pass?

Thanks for reading.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OverTheHillAndDownTotherSide · 21/09/2022 23:50

Have a read of a book called My Child Won’t Eat.

it won’t make your child eat, but it will make your expectations realistic and give you strategies to possibly improve it at a time of the toddler’s choosing. ;)

Please
or

Allthecoloursoftherainbow · 22/09/2022 21:45

solidstarts.com/baby-led-weaning/troubleshooting/

Scroll down to the toddler section of this article. Also if you have Instagram give this organization a follow, they are mainly about weaning but have some brilliant resources for toddlers at the table too.

Please
or

QS90 · 22/09/2022 23:56

Thank-you both, I will check these tomorrow :) / order the book. We have another baby on the way too - perhaps I can learn a few things before he is weaning, and if I'm very lucky stop him going the same way!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?