Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Baby won't take bottle or dummy!

x3emm · 19/09/2022 22:14

Help please!

First baby is 7 weeks old and is breastfed, we followed the guidance and waited untill 6 weeks to introduce a bottle/dummy but now she refuses to take either. I've tried with 3 different bottles and 4 different types of dummies! Any advice on how to introduce them? Have tried feeding her when she's calm, feeding just after I've fed her, dad feeding her while I'm in another room and nothing works! And with the dummy she just spits it out.
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Hugasauras · 19/09/2022 22:19

Some babies just aren't interested in dummies. My first daughter wasn't at all, my second is 3mo now and loves hers but we introduced it from very early, maybe first week!

With bottles, it might just be a case of persevering, trying it regularly and seeing what happens. I haven't given a bottle to my DD since she was about three weeks so I really need to get around to trying it again sometime!

Please
or

Orangesare · 19/09/2022 22:23

My first loved his dummy but I gave it to him at 10 days ( I was desperate). Neither of mine took a bottle though. If you don’t need to bottle feed them I wouldn’t worry as once they get to 5 months they can have milk in a sippy cup. I did have to try a few different types.
You could use a doidy cup or special small cup (I think Mandela make them) now to give milk. It works really well but takes ages to get a full feed in them!

Please
or

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 19/09/2022 22:23

I wouldn’t bother with a dummy, you’re battling to get them to take it and you’ll battle to take it away.
As for the bottle, my youngest refused bottles for a few months (my eldest easily mix fed). Everyday I offered a bottle and at 4 months she eventually took and mix fed easily. Kids are strange things, some just do things in their own time.

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 19/09/2022 22:25

And now you find out NHS/health visitor/ friendly advice can be a load of nonsense.
Of course they've rejected it, they've had six weeks of mummies boob! This happened to me too.
Neither of my children have every taken a bottle or dummy.
When they get to 6 months they can start using a sippy cup.

Please
or

ChildWontStopGrowing · 19/09/2022 22:25

Never managed either tbh. In another month or two you'll be able to bypass the bottle and use a cup. I've read enough of mums trying to ditch dummies that I'm actually glad mine didn't take to it.

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 19/09/2022 22:26

Also, it's not bad thing they won't take a dummy. You'll be glad Futher down the line

Please
or

Hugasauras · 19/09/2022 22:27

Also I ignored the six weeks rule with both of mine. DD1 had bottles from about week 2 and happily switched between breast and bottle (partly out of necessity as I had to pump for a couple of months for her before she fed properly). DD2 had the odd bottle from week 1 too but we got out of the habit of it about week 4 and I can't be arsed pumping so haven't tried again. And a dummy from first week too as she's a super sucky baby and I wanted to give my poor battered nipples a rest in those early days!

Please
or

Youcancallmeirrelevant · 19/09/2022 22:32

Everyone i know who waited 6 weeks never got their babies to accept dummies or bottles, its awful guidance.

With bottle, try your DH or whoever to do it when you are out the house, either expressed milk or formula. Try warming up to similar as body temp.

Dummy, when you put it in tgei mouth stroke their cheek as that can get them to suck, after y weeks though i'm guessing baby isnt really used to sucking for comfort anymore?

Oh and getting rid of dummy at around 3yo is easy for most, kids have better understanding so you can bribe with dummy fairy or similar. Don't forget dummies reduce SIDS and babies find comfort in sucking, so they are a good thing if you want to use them.

Please
or

mondaytosunday · 19/09/2022 22:34

Why do you need to use a dummy? I wouldn't unless the baby really couldn't settle big time.
As for bottle - my baby would never take one either. I was determined she would, as my husband was hospitalised when my first was six weeks and it was hard to visit him. So I thought next one will take the bottle if needed! So I tried, tried skipping a feed so she was extra hungry, tried leaving the house and a friend feeding her - she was stubborn as a mule. So clinic said no reason she ever needed a bottle - sippy cup introduced at four months and while I breastfed her for a year, that was really just one feed at bedtime.
She self weaned just before she turned one.

Please
or

Fupoffyagrasshole · 19/09/2022 22:36

My now 18 month old never took a bottle or a dummy ! Left it too late with the bottle I guess thought it had to be 6 weeks also

if I’ve another one then il be introducing a bottle much earlier even for 1feed a day 🙈 sorry this isn’t really helpful to you but so you know it is very common this problem

Please
or

Lovetogarden2022 · 19/09/2022 22:38

I never managed with a bottle - my eldest always seemed quite distressed with a bottle (we tried a few times and gave up)
Interested why you want to give a dummy if the baby doesn't seem interested in one though?

Please
or

x3emm · 23/09/2022 13:03

I'd like to give her the dummy because often she won't settle until she has my nipple in her mouth and after a while it gets sore! I would also like it if dad could help settle her and give her a bottle to have some more time with her.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Endlesslaundry123 · 23/09/2022 15:41

Neither of mine would take a dummy or bottle either.... I guess some babies just don't care for silicone. I have tried HARD, scoured the internet for tips and tried everything and about 6 or 7 types of dummies as DS is a very cranky high needs baby. He's now almost 3 months and starting to find his hands so I'm hoping he might soothe himself that way at some point. DD(3) was ebf but eventually started taking a bottle at about 9-10 months, and self-weaned from breastfeeding at 11 months (and sippy cup of cow's milk instead of bottles of formula from 12 months).

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 23/09/2022 15:42

I mean, it's not a given that a baby will take a dummy. Just because dummy = baby. Baby does not = dummy!

Your baby is still very young. In a couple of months she will be able to fall asleep on daddy

Please
or

CakeCrumbs44 · 23/09/2022 15:44

Just keep trying and don't get stressed if she doesn't take it, she may eventually.

Please
or

mamamomojojo · 24/09/2022 00:05

That was us, baby would not take bottle so I let her keep feeding. Now is 2 and still on boob and I can’t get her off!! Help! The other 2 loved their bottles… all different.

Please
or

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 24/09/2022 22:04

mamamomojojo · 24/09/2022 00:05

That was us, baby would not take bottle so I let her keep feeding. Now is 2 and still on boob and I can’t get her off!! Help! The other 2 loved their bottles… all different.

At 2 I would introduce a warm sippy cup of milk at bedtime.
For me what happened was I got pregnant and I guess my milk changed, my bob didn't feed for three days and I thought that we were done. But weirdly he started again however I introduced the warm cow's milk and night. Then in the morning my husband got our son ready and took him to nursery before he even saw me so there was no opportunity to feed then. It just dwindles away to no feeds.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?