Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

8 month sleep regression? Help I'm losing my mind

Kitcatkor · 24/08/2022 19:58

Hi all, since my baby hit 8 months his sleep has escalated becoming progressively worse. From 6 weeks to 4m he slept through, since 4m he woke 1-3 times a night, and since 8 months he has been waking up to 7 times. I'm losing my absolute mind, I feel like it's fragmented into pieces. Every time I put my head on the pillow to sleep he wakes again.
Has anyonr else exp this at this age? He recently started crawling and pulling up and is 80% of the way towards walking which he is desperate to do. We cannot leave him to CIO because he escalates and becomes utterly hysterical and he wouldn't do it anyway. Please someone tell me there is an end to this? I feel like he will never sleep through. He only sleeps 9.5 hours a night and has never napped long. It's like he will do anything not to sleep and hardly needs it. I'm desperate. Help.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lottie198 · 24/08/2022 21:16

No advice sorry but we are Going through the same. I’ve never had the luxury of him sleeping through though. The 4 month regression was horrendous and it only started to get better at 6 months and that was with 2-3 wake ups- but I’d take that. Now he doesn’t even let me put him in his cot , he wakes every hour. He used to go to bed at 730/8 and now it’s more like 1030/11. He’s up for the day at 6. It’s just so utterly draining and it really does bring me to tears (I think because I’m so sleep deprived).
We will get through this and it will be a distant memory. I just keep telling myself its a phase . Even though I’ve not had a full nights sleep in 8 months. Is yours breast fed by any chance? Mine is and I think that adds to the sleep problems.

Please
or

almostghostless · 25/08/2022 22:04

I’m sorry, no advice either but we’ve just hit the 8 month regression hard too. You have all my sympathy and you’re not alone!

She won’t go to sleep before 11, is up constantly and wakes at 6. She is breastfed and it was the only way to get her to sleep - she hates being rocked, will not fall asleep on her own in the cot, and I’m with you on CIO. Even if I wanted to try, she would just get absolutely hysterical. She seems to get whingey and tearful and rubbing eyes about an hour before she actually falls asleep, which definitely adds to the stress of bedtime. We’re also hitting a lot of development at the moment with crawling, pulling to stand, clapping(?), lots of babbling, and those pesky teeth too.

We’d literally only in the past couple of weeks gotten to a place where she was in her own room, bedtime had become relatively easy, her daytime naps were bliss and she was waking 2-3 times a night (I’ll take that too). BUT we’ve never had sleeping through either, and 4 month sleep regression was awful for us too and we eventually came back from that! So we just have to keep reminding ourselves that they can do it (and we can do it too) and this will pass. We’ll all get that full nights sleep eventually 😴

Please
or

almostghostless · 25/08/2022 22:13

*I meant to say breastfeeding was the only way to get her to sleep, and it’s no longer working, which is the worst part of it all! Partner is currently driving her around for 40 minutes a night to get her to drift off enough for me to get her on the boob and then into her cot

Please
or

Peaplant20 · 26/08/2022 20:36

Can you tell us what time and for how long the naps are and what time is bedtime and what time he wakes up in the morning

Please
or

Justhereforaibu1 · 26/08/2022 20:43

I know you said you didn't want to try cry it out, but please have a look at the Ferber method ( it's not total CIO) . Saved my sanity for sure.

Please
or

Mamoun · 26/08/2022 20:53

For your sanity and mental health you should sleeptrain your baby.

Yes there will be tears, he might get hysterical at times because he isn’t getting what he wants… but you’re in charge and you need to sleep. It won’t do any damage to him, it will teach him the gift of sleep and you’ll be a happy rested Mama.

Pick a sleep training technique and be consistent, stick to it till you get the nights you think your baby can do (at 8 months one feed is probably enough?). If you can afford it, do a phone consultation with a sleep consultant. I have heard of one who is relatively cheap, called Ellen Child Sleep Training. Apparently very efficient.

best of luck!

Please
or

mishmased · 26/08/2022 23:18

Omg my baby is 15 months and I remember this too well. Absolute nightmare, you have my sympathy. How long is he being kept awake for? At that age he is probably transitioning to two naps. Regardless I've found between 8-9 months to be very tough with my three. I had baby in her room since 6 months but when it got too tough sometimes I ended up bringing her into bed and feeding her. It helped that I took a year of mat leave but it was still very tough. She's 15 months now and sleep 8:30-8am. I tried to put her down awake gradually but not at this stage, I waited for it to ease a bit. Hope it gets easier. Hang in there 😥

Please
or

mishmased · 26/08/2022 23:20

Btw 9.5 hours is very good 😊

Please
or

Popcorn100 · 15/09/2022 21:40

Hi all!

Any updates of tips??

Baby slept through - amazing sleeper but oh wow!! We have hit the 8 month sleep regression and baby literally is up partying all night! Wakes about 4-7 times a night. She often will sit up so I am frantic that she will fall back and hit her head.

I keep telling myself it’s a phase but it has been two weeks now and I am so sleep deprived!

How long did it last?

Any advice, much appreciated!

Thank you ladies!

Please
or

Popcorn100 · 15/09/2022 21:42

Naps are fine in the day and there is no problem with getting her to sleep - she doesn’t stay asleep!!

Please
or

mishmased · 23/09/2022 01:46

@Popcorn100 I'd say my baby's phase lasted well into 10 months but it coincided with cruising and walking. At 9 months she used to get up and stand in her cot just chatting. She got better in stages and was waking twice a night by 1 and now at 16 months she sleeps through. Hang in there!
Ps: she only had one 7hr stint at 6 weeks and woke every 2-3 hours so iff to wasn't that much of a shock to me 😂

Please
or

Kitcatkor · 23/09/2022 06:22

Hi all, thanks for the advice. I just want to say we reached breaking point one night where we were up for hours, nothing we did worked. We sat with out head in our hands at a total loss. He cried for about 5 minutes and went to sleep. We looked at each other and said "maybe we're gonna have to sleep train". And so we did it. It hurt so badly and I cried along with him in my partners arms but, by night 2 he was already sleeping better and within a couple of days he was sleeping 11-12 hours a night and has been ever since. Now there are no tears at all at night when getting to sleep. We've done the same for naps. As someone who was so against CIO to any other mums going through the same, this was the most mind blowing miracle I've ever experienced in my life. It works like some sort of actual magic. A lot of my mum friends have experienced the same. There is no research to suggest babies with otherwise happy homes and are extremely loved develop any long term affects from being left to cry a bit. And, not only does it save your entire life, give you back your nights, and your relaxing evenings, not to mention later mornings, but it hugely benefits them too because they sleep more, more restfully, and for longer and... they need sleep. A lot of my mum friends experienced the same. Do not hesitate to sleep train if you're in this boat. Its incredible. I can't rate what we did enough for how much it has totally cured the problem and saved us all.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Endlesslaundry123 · 23/09/2022 16:43

@Kitcatkor thank you for the update. We did CIO with DD and she slept so well afterwards and everyone was much happier. I now have a son who's approaching the 4 month sleep regression and I'm absolutely dreading it (and the coming possible need for sleep training) but reading your update gave me hope that everything will be ok. Thank you.

Please
or

Kitcatkor · 23/09/2022 16:49

Ah the 4 month sleep regression is when my baby's sleep started to get bad! He slept 9 hours straight before that. So I totally understand. I give you huge credit for doing it twice 😅 In hindsight, I wish we had done CIO from about 6 or 7 months. If I were to do it again, I would try that. But we are one and done, we knew that beforehand. It isn't easy but it's a life saver. Good luck, motherhood is pure heroism 😁💜

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mamoun · 26/09/2022 15:33

Well done for sleep training! CIO is harmless, it is actually beneficial for the whole family...
if you want further reassurance read what Emily Oster (a behavioural economist) says about sleep training. In a nutshell she says it is safe Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?