Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Stop the dummy help

10 replies

New2TheMNet · 06/08/2022 23:13

Our 5month DD has had her dummy for about a month or two now. At first we only used it when she was really upset in her car seat and then when we went out for dinner, slowly it slipped and we started using it when she went to sleep.
Now we are finding that she's waking up through the night as it's fallen out. I also read it can reduce hunger so it's time to get rid of it.
Please can anyone share their tips/ advice or experience with stopping dummy use?

Many thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

jammiewhammie65 · 06/08/2022 23:23

There isn't really any tips you just have to bin them or it's confusing for her sometimes she can and sometimes not. I had no choice at 8 months she's started chewing them so it was a chocking hazard just had to go cold Turkey

Please
or

PleaseGoDontGoAgain · 06/08/2022 23:25

Lost her dummy on a day out and didn't realise until we got home, usually had a spare but had lost that previously.
IT WAS SHIT.
I can't lie about it, 20 odd years later I still remember the sense of "she will never stop crying" but she did eventually and once I'd done one night it seemed silly to go back.

I wish I'd never used one but the initial 'shock' part only lasted a couple of nights (she was a miserable sod the next day due to lack of sleep and wanting the dumble). She would ask for it from time to time but once she'd been forced into self soothing it was no longer the lifeline it used to be

This happened when she was just under a year. Grit your teeth and do it now.

Please
or

Mums4all · 07/08/2022 09:27

Many years ago, DD now 29, we had about 3 dummies on the go. They get lost, on a day out and down to one, it dropped out of buggy. I said that’s it not buying any more. Got home she cried, I rocked her to sleep, she woke in the night, I patted her to sleep. We got through the night. Did not buy anymore.

I would say she cried for it for 2 days and then forgot about it. Best thing I ever did i remember thinking at the time. Advised my daughter the same. Now I come to think of it, it’s hard to believe that both grandchildren did have dummies for a short time.

Just do it!

Please
or

New2TheMNet · 12/08/2022 06:25

Thanks everyone for your comments.
After a few 3-4 tough days we have managed to ditch the dummy! I'm not going to lie, I almost gave in as it's been so hard to settle her for naps and bedtime but I think we are also going through a sleep regression as well. The sleep has been up and down, but one night she did manage almost 8hrs and we still think ditching the dummy was the right thing to do. I'm just hoping I get some more sleep soon.
RIP Dummy

OP's posts:
Please
or

New2TheMNet · 29/09/2022 02:04

Ok, update and just putting this here for any other mums that may search this thread.

We are back on the dummy BUT only for bedtime.
The sleeping never improved and my DD just got more upset, so the whole bedtime routine ended up being so horrible. The cry it out sleep training is something that I feel isn't for us, so one night when I was exhausted and i'm running low of patience after trying to settler her for 2.5 hours... I decided to pop the dummy back in. She slept straight away.
Since then the dummy has only be used at bedtime and sometime not used at all if she falls asleep without it.
She is just over 6months old and her sleep has improved, we are all much happier and bedtime is no longer something I dread.
It also helps that she's able to put it in her mouth if she wakes and it's out.

I couldn't believe it but last night she slept for 9hrs! Her PB as before the dummy she was waking every 1-2hrs. I mostly blame teething and I know with age their sleep is supposed to improve but at the end of the day the dummy helped us. Yes, I know some parents might be thinking I've made a mistake and I know the dummy isn't for everyone. Just need to do what's best for you and your baby x

OP's posts:
Please
or

MGee123 · 29/09/2022 06:12

Using a dummy just for sleep isn't going to do any harm. We use ours for the same and occasionally in the car for long journeys as well when we've exhausted all toys/nursery rhymes! Our baby is 14 months now and I've no intention of removing it until she's old enough to understand and hand it over herself. It won't be in her mouth for the whole night so impact on her teeth will be minimal, and if it's only sleep time it won't be stopping her speech developing. Don't feel bad! She has the comfort she needs to settle and as a result you all get a good nights sleep - what's so wrong with that?!

Please
or

Passanotherjaffacake · 29/09/2022 06:30

My Dd had a dummy until 3 - only at night. She slept really well and it really helped her. Her speech is fantastic and always was. Her teeth are fine. We could have done it earlier but didn’t because we were scared about losing sleep!

the dummy fairy visited in due course and she was more than happy to give up - we told her that if she managed a week without the dummy then the dummy fairy would bring her a huge present (a bike we were going to buy her anyway!). She was delighted with the exchange and had absolutely no problems. No tears or pleadings. She asked once and was reminded about the present deal and went off to bed happily.

Please
or

SunshineClouds1 · 29/09/2022 07:49

She's still a baby having a dummy is fine.
My son had his until 3, it is a great sleep aid.
They learn to put it back in themselves and when they do sleep is even better Wink

Please
or

She's still a baby having a dummy is fine.
My son had his until 3, it is a great sleep aid.
They learn to put it back in themselves and when they do sleep is even better Wink

From age 2-3 was for sleep should have added

Please
or

New2TheMNet · 29/09/2022 21:29

Thanks everyone and I love the idea of the dummy fairy, I'm definitely going to use that idea.

I guess you hear so much negative things about dummy use, but the bedtime is so much better and more enjoyable. I know she will still have her nights where she'll wake up, but that's fine.

Thanks again everyone. It's been nice to hear all the different advice and experience x

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?